Is this vital to my mac running properly??

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by knew2mack, Aug 29, 2012.

1. knew2mack macrumors regular

knew2mack

Hi,

I actually have 2 questions - first one is in regard to my screenshot I provide below. It seems like I have 5 of these things and when I pull it up, it's just a bunch of letters, numbers and characters (all of which I have NO CLUE as to what they mean or are for)

My second question & please forgive me if I'm supposed to go ahead and make an entirely new thread in a different area....I bought an mp3 player couple of years ago of ebay. Runs great, looks exactly like an ipod yet it's not.

At any rate, I'm just plugging it in to add more music to it from my iTunes collection but it's not reading it....I'm not seeing it as a device ANYWHERE....any suggestions.....PLEASE?????? I've tried both of the USB connections with still, no luck!!

Please oh please can someone help me??? :cool:

Attached Files:

2. simsaladimbamba

Those files are JavaScript files. Where exactly (path) did you find them? Normally if you find files outside your home directory (Macintosh HD / Users / YOU /) or in your own Library folder, it is not so safe to delete them.

As for your MP3 player, does it show up in Applications / Utilities / System Profiler (Mac OS X 10.6 and earlier) / System Report (Mac OS X 10.7 and later)> Hardware > USB or in Applications / Utility / Disk Utility?
    And what exact brand and model is that MP3 player?

3. knew2mack thread starter macrumors regular

knew2mack

wow....thanks, I figured that since I had 5 of them, 4 could be deleted - thanks for saving me on that one.

regarding the mp3 player, to be honest, I have no clue....it looks exactly like the ipod nano, exactly, minus any apple icon on the product anywhere.

So i went ahead n checked as you wrote, applications/utilities/system profiler but at this point, I don't see what I"m supposed to do or use or click on once I've reached this point. when I open it, i've provided another screenshot to help you see what I'm seeing n hopefully with that, you can help me figure out my next step.

Attached Files:

4. simsaladimbamba

You click on the section called "USB", it is right at the bottom. If it is recognised there, chances are, it is recognised in Disk Utility.

Does that MP3 player have any kind of markings, text or anything else written on it, that you could paste here?

5. knew2mack thread starter macrumors regular

knew2mack

ok, so I took these pics, no markings whatsoever....so I'm not sure if that helps at all. I have, however, uploaded music to it before, but it's been a l o o o ng time!!!

I also did a screenshot of what I see when I click on the USB option.

Attached Files:

6. chibiterasu macrumors 6502

chibiterasu

A lovely look alike (or fake in some minds) ipod nano 4th gen. That should just show up as a removable disc drive (either on your desktop or under devices in finder) and you should be able to just drag and drop music on to it.

7. Meinlsync macrumors newbie

If the "IPod" is not showing up it might be because it it formatted as NTSC. See if you can connect it to a PC and format it as FAT so it can be read by the mac.

On second thoughts hold off on that because that might just turn it into a flash drive with a (useless) screen.

8. simsaladimbamba

You meant "NTFS", which is a Windows file system, which can be read by Mac OS X.
    FAT32 can be read and written to by Mac OS X.

Overview of the four major file systems (called "Formats" in Mac OS X) used on Windows and Mac OS X, compiled by GGJstudios. You can use Disk Utility to format any HDD to your liking.

Any external hard drive will work with PCs or Macs, as long as the connectors are there (Firewire, USB, etc.) It doesn't matter how the drive is formatted out of the box, since you can re-format any way you like. Formatting can be done with the Mac OS X Disk Utility, found in the /Applications/Utilities folder. Here are your formatting options:

HFS+ (Hierarchical File System, a.k.a. Mac OS Extended (Journaled) Don't use case-sensitive)

NTFS (Windows NT File System)
    • Read/Write NTFS from native Windows.
    • Read only NTFS from native Mac OS X
      [*]To Read/Write/Format NTFS from Mac OS X, here are some alternatives:
      • For Mac OS X 10.4 or later (32 or 64-bit), install Paragon (approx $20) (Best Choice for Lion)
      • For 32-bit Mac OS X, install NTFS-3G for Mac OS X (free) (does not work in 64-bit mode)
      • For 64-bit Snow Leopard, read this: MacFUSE for 64-bit Snow Leopard
      • Some have reported problems using Tuxera (approx $36).
      • Native NTFS support can be enabled in Snow Leopard and Lion, but is not advisable, due to instability.
    • AirPort Extreme (802.11n) and Time Capsule do not support NTFS
    • Maximum file size: 16 TB
    • Maximum volume size: 256TB
    • You can use this format if you routinely share a drive with multiple Windows systems.

exFAT (FAT64)
    • Supported in Mac OS X only in 10.6.5 or later.
    • Not all Windows versions support exFAT. See disadvantages.
    • exFAT (Extended File Allocation Table)
    • AirPort Extreme (802.11n) and Time Capsule do not support exFAT
    • Maximum file size: 16 EiB
    • Maximum volume size: 64 ZiB
    • You can use this format if it is supported by all computers with which you intend to share the drive. See "disadvantages" for details.

FAT32 (File Allocation Table)
    • Read/Write FAT32 from both native Windows and native Mac OS X.
      [*]Maximum file size: 4GB.
    • Maximum volume size: 2TB
    • You can use this format if you share the drive between Mac OS X and Windows computers and have no files larger than 4GB.

NTSC is a TV broadcast standard in the US and Japan, it is short for "Never The Same Colour" or something else more professionally. It is a subpar TV broadcast standard compared to PAL (the European and almost rest of the world TV broadcast standard).

9. knew2mack thread starter macrumors regular

knew2mack

WOW.......alright, now I'm even more confused. It's weird cuz I've plugged it in before and was able to drag n drop but I'm not sure why it's not showing up....not on my desktop, nor devices when I have iTunes open.....I've checked the USB and it's working just fine.....ARRGGHHHH!!!!!

so very frustrating!!!
    help & thanks so much

10. ibuyufo macrumors 6502

11. knew2mack thread starter macrumors regular

knew2mack

where did this info come from??
    yes i've done some work with them

12. GermanyChris macrumors 601

GermanyChris

the quest employee handbook pdf in the middle of you Java cluster