Is this website reputable???

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by canes960, Jun 21, 2009.

1. canes960 macrumors 6502

2. old-wiz macrumors G3

3. canes960 thread starter macrumors 6502

ha

haha okay where can i find a used one not like ebay or craigslist i want a MBP

Or is Ebay okay

4. EarthDawn macrumors 6502a

EarthDawn

5. JefferyShin macrumors regular

JefferyShin

Copied from CanadaRAM (@ macrumors forums)

"OK, well, Heb, the time to ask this question is really before you whip out the charge card, ya with me on that one?

First of all, look up the domain gainsaver.com

They are using a proxy service to hide their identity from the Whois database. That's not a positive sign.

The domain was created 2 months ago Created 12-dec-2005. That's not a good sign either.

Registrant:
    Domains by Proxy, Inc.

DomainsByProxy.com
    15111 N. Hayden Rd., Ste 160, PMB 353
    Scottsdale, Arizona 85260
    United States

Registered through: Secure Online Web Hosting
    Domain Name: GAINSAVER.COM
    Created on: 12-Dec-05
    Expires on: 13-Dec-06
    Last Updated on: 12-Dec-05

Administrative Contact:
    Private, Registration GAINSAVER.COM@domainsbyproxy.com
    Domains by Proxy, Inc.
    DomainsByProxy.com
    15111 N. Hayden Rd., Ste 160, PMB 353
    Scottsdale, Arizona 85260
    United States
    (480) 624-2599

A traceroute is blocked at a certain point.
    The website is hosted by bnet software, a shopping cart supplier and hoster, so that's a dead end.

They give the following address

Gain Saver
    1117 Desert Lane
    Suite 1590
    Las Vegas, NV 89102
    United States
    Toll Free: 877-657-1464
    Fax 702-925-2942

although on their terms and conditions they state
    GainSaver
    1601 Lockness Place
    Torrance, CA 90501

They charge $10 plus 15% restocking fee plus freight if you return something and want your money back - whether or not you opened the box.

Then work the other websites: Google, resellerratings.com, epinions.com, bbb.org, whitepages.com

They do not have a rating at resellerratings.com or epinions.com

They do not have a listing at the Better Business Bureau by name or phone number or URL. www.bbb.org - that is not positive.

They do not have a phone number listed under the name GainSaver in whitepages.com, anywhere in the USA. That means they could be operating from a cellphone or a rent by the month tollfree number. Or it could mean they are a legitimate business that just set up a month ago and the directories haven't caught up.

The address 1117 Desert Lane Las Vegas has over 100 businesses at it, it is either a large building or simply a mailbox outlet.

The address in Torrance California has three computer firms at it. The name of one of the firms, Complete Computer Cure was the name of a company sued by Microsoft in 2004 for piracy - although there is no way to make certain that this is aone and the same firm.

So: There is no positive indication that this is a scam. Neither is there any indication that this company has been in business for more than two months, and no way to identify positively who and where they are.

You can call the City of Las Vegas and see if the firm has a business license to operate there (or it may be a state thing. Don't know.)"

6. canes960 thread starter macrumors 6502

Well Then

I wont be ordering there where can i find a used one not from craigslist or ebay...im looking for a MBP

Thanks Peyton

7. boston44 macrumors 6502

Just go to the apple store or best buy. Best Buy will negotiate with you and make you a deal like the apple store - free iPod and $40 off a printer. They also have floor models/open box models for up to $500 off... Refurb section on apple.com is also good. Good luck.

8. canes960 thread starter macrumors 6502

Gainsaver.com

Is this website reputable

Tell me how they treated you?

9. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

No personal experience: but from what I hear, they're usually OK as far as shipping and whatnot goes. But their customer service pretty much consists of the owner of the company and his secretary. i.e, it's terrible. So if something does go wrong...you could be waiting a very long time to get it fixed.