Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

abhi4ever04

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 16, 2011
Hello,

I have an iphone 4 (ATT) with 4.3.2 (8H7) firmware.
- I would like to unlock it so that I can use it when travelling abroad.
- Also I would like to restore it back to 4.3.2 (non jailbroken/ unlocked) when I come back.

Based on my research the firmware that I need to preserve baseband (dont really know what that means) and unlock- I need to use 4.2.1 firmware and the Sn0wbreeze 2.2 and Ultrasn0w 1.2. as shown in this page:

http://www.redmondpie.com/how-to-pr....1-using-pwnagetool-4.2-sn0wbreeze-2.2-video/

My questions for the experts are:
1) Is this info/ process the best process out there to unlock?
2) Can I downgrade from 4.3.2 to 4.2.1. using the firmware supplied on the page above to unlock my phone?
3) Will this break my apple warranty?
4) Will I be able to restore it back (restore from backup) to 4.3.2 when I return?

Thanks a lot for your response.
Abhi

PsstGreek

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2010
Tampa Bay
If your iPhone 4's baseband (modem firmware) is anything higher than 1.59.00 it can't be unlocked with ultrasn0w. Your only option would be to buy a Gevey Turbo Sim to unlock.

Don't use Sn0wbreeze. Use redsn0w instead to jailbreak or iPhone.

abhi4ever04

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 16, 2011
My modem firmware says (04.10.01) which is way more than 1.59.00 :(

Is there anyway I can go back to the 1.59.00?

Thanks much.

eastercat

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
PDX
Yes, looks like you are going to need a Gevey unless you can convince someone in the UK to submit a hardware unlock request on your behalf.
The factory unlock would have to be under the table. Because normally, UK providers aren't going to unlock another carrier's phone.
Besides gevey, you can sell your iphone and buy a factory unlocked phone from a number of countries, including Canada. It's full price, but you will never lose your unlock because you updated the software.

If you have the correct blob, you can downgrade the iOS (not the bb).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.