Is this what the MacBook should offer and cost?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by LarryC, Mar 6, 2011.

1. LarryC, Mar 6, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2011

LarryC macrumors 6502

LarryC

Learn more about the Sony VAIO VPCF13XFX/B Price at Newegg is $999.00.

Model
    Brand SONY
    Series VAIO F Series
    Model VPCF13XFX/B
    General

Color Black
    Operating System Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
    CPU Type Intel Core i7-740QM(1.73GHz)
    Screen 16.4"
    Memory Size 4GB DDR3
    Hard Disk 500GB
    Optical Drive DVD Super Multi
    Graphics Card NVIDIA GeForce GT 425M
    Video Memory 1GB
    Communication Gigabit LAN and WLAN
    Card slot 1 x Express Card/34
    Battery Life 2.5 hours (Default Brightness)
    Dimensions 15.3" x 10.4" x 1.22" - 1.62"
    Weight 6.4 lbs

CPU
    CPU Type Intel Core i7
    CPU Speed 740QM(1.73GHz)
    CPU Support 6MB L3 Cache Up to 2.93GHz with Turbo Boost

Display
    Screen Size 16.4"
    Wide Screen Support Yes
    Resolution 1600 x 900
    LCD Features CCFL Backlight

Operating Systems

Operating System Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
    Graphics GPU/VPU NVIDIA GeForce GT 425M
    Video Memory Dedicated 1GB
    Graphic Type Dedicated Card

Hard Drive

HDD 500GB
    HDD RPM 7200rpm
    HDD Interface SATA

Memory

Memory 4GB
    Memory Speed DDR3 1333
    Memory Spec 2GB x 2
    Memory Type 204-Pin DDR3 SO-DIMM
    Max Memory Supported 8GB

Optical Drive

Optical Drive Type
    DVD Super Multi
    Optical Drive Interface Integrated

Communications
    LAN 10/100/1000Mbps
    WLAN Atheros 802.11b/g/n
    Bluetooth Bluetooth Integrated Stereo A2DP (2.1 + EDR)

Ports
    Card Slot 1 x Express Card/34
    USB 2 x USB 3.0 1 x USB 2.0
    Video Port 1 x VGA
    HDMI 1 x HDMI
    Other port 1 x eSATA
    Audio Ports

1 x Microphone jack; 1 x Headphone jack

Audio

Audio Intel High Definition Audio with Dolby Home Theater Technology
    Built-in microphone
    Speaker Internal Speakers

Input Device
    Touchpad Electrostatic Touchpad (Multi-Finger)

Keyboard QWERTY, 103 keys with 2.0mm stroke4and 19.05mm pitch, 10-Key numeric Pad, Backlit Keyboard

Supplemental Drive

Card Reader 1 Memory Stick Pro Slot
    1 Secure Digital (SD) Slot
    Webcam Built-in MOTION EYE camera

Power

Battery Standard Capacity Lithium-Ion Battery
    Battery Life 2.5 hours (Default Brightness)

Physical Specifications

Dimensions 15.3" x 10.4" x 1.22" - 1.62"
    Weight 6.4 lbs

Manufacturer Warranty

Parts 1 year limited
    Labor 1 year limited

2. simsaladimbamba

I couldn't see the price in that well formatted list. What is it again?

3. Frankydan100 macrumors regular

Frankydan100

Id still pick a MacBook Pro over any other laptop no matter of price or specs...

Why...? Because they look cool as *******....

4. LarryC thread starter macrumors 6502

LarryC

I know that it is a mess. I have been working on it and while it isn't even good, it is at least readable. Price is $999.00. The same as the MacBook.

5. LarryC thread starter macrumors 6502

LarryC

And how old are you?

6. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

I must have missed the announcement that Sony makes laptops that come with OSX . . .

:rolleyes:

7. LarryC thread starter macrumors 6502

LarryC

No, but they do make laptops that will run several other operating systems! If I really feel that Apple is screwing us when it comes to specs and price... I am well aware that there are other options out there that do not involve being a fanboy who begs for the honor to blow SJ.

:rolleyes: <------- Look, I can do that, too!

8. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

Your solution is simple: buy something other than Apple if you don't feel it is worth the cost.

So put a dollar value on a Apple laptop with OSX and if you don't feel it equals that of a Sony (or any other brand, for that matter), don't buy the Apple.

9. LarryC thread starter macrumors 6502

LarryC

10. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

11. Tharian macrumors regular

While that Sony does have some pluses, the screen resolution is going to look terrible on that big of a screen, and the 2.5 hours of battery is HORRENDOUS.

edit: and the panel is CCFL which is also both bad for the environment and lower quality.

-d

12. 63dot, Mar 6, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2011

63dot macrumors 603

63dot

In some ways, those stats are pretty good and Sony is better than most PC makers. I like the Core i7 and the dedicated graphics, but I would want more battery time. For some, battery time is the single most important factor and this is something to consider.

If I had a laptop but knew I was going to use it almost all of the time plugged in at home, work, or school, then the Sony would be a great choice. But untethered, the low battery time is a real disadvantage.

If I had to go with a PC laptop for a grand, that Sony would be high on my list, but I would still opt for a Core i5 PC laptop with similar stats but with better battery time. Also, I would wait to see what Apple offers in their next round of Macbooks.

In most cases, dollar for dollar you will get more on the inside with a PC laptop than with something from Apple. However, some PC laptops have similar stats at similar prices like Alien and Sager and in that case Apple wins hands down.

Where Apple has its advantages though are the usually better industrial design, a more rugged case, often great battery*times, and of course the ease and relatively problem free use of OS X.

For many, it is worth the extra couple of hundred to get the Mac and have a computer that works well consistently without a lot of fussing around.

I hope this helps.

13. LarryC thread starter macrumors 6502

LarryC

Agreed. What I am saying is that this machine offers a heck of a lot for $999.00. I see no reason why Apple's $999.00 MacBook should not offer a good bit of these features at the same price. It seems like this Sony offers a lot of MBP type features at a MB price. I am looking forward to OS X Lion, just as many here are. I have been using OS X since something like 10.02. I have seen and appreciated a lot of the advancements, but I really don't understand why 10.5.8 is not a lot better than it is. I personally think that 10.3.9 was better. The reason that I am using 10.5.8 instead of 10.6.X is because my computer did not meet the minimum requirements for 10.6. I am going to upgrade, but it gets very frustrating when I see Sony selling a 999.00 laptop that has features of Apple's MacBook Pro's at the price of the lowly MacBook. I am interested in seeing how Apple is going to treat the next versions of the MacBook, the iMac, and even the Mac Mini.

14. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

Exactly.

I have a feeling that it's possible that Apple with go no lower than Core i5 as I think the fast moving technology we have had in processors recently is positioning the Core i3 to work with ultra budget sub-$600 dollar PC laptops from now on.

I have a Gateway PC laptop with Core i3 ($629 list) and it's decent with good battery time, but the model is from last fall. New PCs at same price will offer a lot more than what I have though what I have kicks the Core 2 Duo's butt.

I would hold out for new Macbook or new Mac mini and save the money. Intel has moved forward, finally, from the old Core 2 Duos and performance for price should be pretty good from any new Core "i" Mac.

15. LarryC, Mar 6, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 6, 2011

LarryC thread starter macrumors 6502

LarryC

63dot,

I do appreciate the feedback. Thank you, very much. My first computer was an iMac G3 and I have been using Mac's exclusively, since 2001. I am looking forward to Apple's next hardware updates. I feel that the next versions of the MacBook and iMac need to be impressive to run OS X Lion and last for a few years.

That sounds like some good advice. Thank you.

16. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

Thank you very much. Since I am not a gamer I run OS X, 10.4 on a Mac mini with G4 and same OS on another one with Core 2 Duo and so far no big issues.

I think any Core "i", even the Core i3, should be able to run any Mac OS X for years. If you are thinking about heavy gaming, then don't go any lower than the Core i7 MBP or a mid-level iMac.

It's the best idea to make the computer as strong as the most intensive apps/games you think you will use. But for a non-gamer like me, I have been very happy with my two Mac minis, and a 1999 iBook before that. They have worked for MS Office, Photoshop, Illustrator, and Pagemaker without issue or being slow. I don't get much into movie making, and I would guess that it approaches the requirements of some games.

While Intel appears confident that their integrated graphics can finally work with games, I still like the idea of dedicated graphics, and mid-level through Apple's line to go with games without any issues. The PC side seems to be more generous with mid-priced machines which have pretty decent dedicated graphics and I wish Apple was as generous at the same price point.

While I thought gaming hit its peak in around 2000, I had no idea that the phenomenon would grow beyond that and pretty much be the only major aspect of computing which would spur graphics chips to push themselves every year. While regular processor speed is not the big thing and can now relegate heavier tasks to more cores, graphics chips are still in a mad race to be the fastest, yet coolest, yet best performing unit possible. I don't know when this trend will stop. Anyway, look to PC companies to carry the top end graphics chips in desktops and laptops months before most Macs get the product. That being said, if the chip that nVidia or ATI comes out with is a dog, vulnerabilities/issues will first be seen on PCs and by then Apple will have time to reconsider. It's not a bad thing to often be a tiny bit behind the curve on graphics chips. Some of the early-adopting PC laptops, while great gamers, just suck the battery time out of laptops to render them completely impractical anywhere away from a wall outlet.