Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
I love Android. But only stock/close to stock Android used on Nexus devices or phones by Motorola. I can't stand anything put out by Samsung. They have great hardware but the OS modifications kill it for me. So much useless apps and skinning that really kills the Android experience for me. I had a SII and SIII and after a few updates... you could really feel the system start bogging down. The Nexus 4 and 5 I have right now have been the complete opposite. They both run fantastic.

I'm currently using a Nexus 5 and it's been my favorite devices so far. But I'll be making a switch to iOS soon with the iPhone 6. Why the switch? I want something different. I want to see what iOS is like (again). I haven't used an iOS device since iOS4 with the iPod Touch 4.
TBH....comparing experiences from the S2 or 3 to todays Samsung devices is not really relevant. I had an IP3 and 4 that does not come close to the experience/performance of my 6+ today.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
TBH....comparing experiences from the S2 or 3 to todays Samsung devices is not really relevant. I had an IP3 and 4 that does not come close to the experience/performance of my 6+ today.

Yep, Touchwiz 2014 is very different compared to Touchwiz 2012. Is there still room for improvement, definitely. But that shouldn't detract from the improvements that have been made and with the reduction in profits and less than expected sales of flagship hardware - it's the kick that Samsung need to improve things going forward.

Now 2015 with no 'chat on' and Samsung killing its media services (music & video) - and hopefully an end to Samsung App Store too - a lot of the bloated duplicate services will be eradicated - resulting in a more refined - less heavy OS underneath it's launcher.

Mildredop

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2013
I was doing some reading, and someone said that the reason android is not as smooth as iOS is because android runs in something like virtual box but with iOS, it is run natively on the phone.

In my experience, Android isn't laggy. IOS is laggy.

occollegeboi420

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2013
I have animations turned off on my nexus 5 and there is no lag at all. I am on the newest 5.0.1 version. Lollipop is pretty butter smooth. Android has surpassed apple.

You really can't compare lollipop to anything previously done in android.

Ios was way more laggy when I used to have an iphone.

iososx

macrumors 6502a
Aug 23, 2014
USA
That is not a true statement. I have a Note 4 with no lag and it is very fluid. I had a Nexus 6 with zero lag and very fluid as well.
I currently own and enjoy:

iPhone 6+
Nexus 6
Note 4
Nexus 5
iPhone 6

This _partial list of my currently activated models_ is but a few examples of smartphones that are as close to exactly the same smooth, fluid, 100% lag free operation as they come.

Why so many new phones? Simply because I'm a very active smartphone enthusiast who enjoys variety and the ability to "grab & go" with whatever appeals at the moment I'm leaving the house.

I get the luxury of first hand experience with a wide variety without having to rely on others reports and opinions.

The phones listed are all so well engineered that the level of parity when one steps back to look at the big picture, differences in quality, speed, and reliability in real world use is negligible.

The "Best Smartphone" on the list is "The One You Like ". :)

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
I've own countless Android devices this year...:eek: and none of their were "laggy".

----------

I currently own and enjoy:

iPhone 6+
Nexus 6
Note 4
Nexus 5
iPhone 6

This _partial list of my currently activated models_ is but a few examples of smartphones that are as close to exactly the same smooth, fluid, 100% lag free operation as they come.

Why so many new phones? Simply because I'm a very active smartphone enthusiast who enjoys variety and the ability to "grab & go" with whatever appeals at the moment I'm leaving the house.

I get the luxury of first hand experience with a wide variety without having to rely on others reports and opinions.

The phones listed are all so well engineered that the level of parity when one steps back to look at the big picture, differences in quality, speed, and reliability in real world use is negligible.

The "Best Smartphone" on the list is "The One You Like ". :)
Damn! You have the who's who's of 2014 smartphones! Must be nice to have all of them at one time!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.