Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nhamp07

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2011
Nope. Under the summary page of your phone there should be a check box towards the bottom for wireless syncing. Then on the iphone go settings>general>itunes and click wireless sync.

Prissy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 7, 2009
Nope. Under the summary page of your phone there should be a check box towards the bottom for wireless syncing. Then on the iphone go settings>general>itunes and click wireless sync.

What do I do after that? Just unplug it and leave iTune open all the time? How do I sync wirelessly the next time?

nhamp07

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2011
you can manually do it when you hit that sync button on the phone or you can leave itunes open anytime you charge your phone it should automatically sync.

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
What do I do after that? Just unplug it and leave iTune open all the time? How do I sync wirelessly the next time?

Not sure how it works on Windows, but on the Mac I don't think iTunes needs to be open to sync, but you have to activate the WiFi sync option in iTunes first. The problem is, at least on my 2007 iMac, the machine has to be awake to sync. Since the only time I plug my iPhone in is when I go to sleep, the computer is going to always be in sleep mode at that time. So I've found it fairly useless because I'm not going to walk across the house and wake up my computer every night for it to sync, and it's stupid to set your computer to always be awake 24 hours a day. Fortunately iCloud sync takes care of most things without my Mac having to be on and awake at the right time.

evanrousso

macrumors 6502
Aug 28, 2006
The phone doesn't actually sync wirelessly though, you have to plug it in to iTunes right? That has been my experience anyways.

If that is the case, what is the point of wireless sync?

mackmgg

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2007
The phone doesn't actually sync wirelessly though, you have to plug it in to iTunes right? That has been my experience anyways.

When you plug it in, there's an option to enable sync over WiFi. Once you enable that, it doesn't need to be plugged in anymore.

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US

No, it does sync wirelessly now. You only have to (ironically) have it plugged in when you initially enable the syncing. But as I said, the requirement to have the computer on, and the iPhone plugged in (to power, not the computer) limits the usefulness for me.

Prissy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 7, 2009
Not sure how it works on Windows, but on the Mac I don't think iTunes needs to be open to sync, but you have to activate the WiFi sync option in iTunes first. The problem is, at least on my 2007 iMac, the machine has to be awake to sync. Since the only time I plug my iPhone in is when I go to sleep, the computer is going to always be in sleep mode at that time. So I've found it fairly useless because I'm not going to walk across the house and wake up my computer every night for it to sync, and it's stupid to set your computer to always be awake 24 hours a day. Fortunately iCloud sync takes care of most things without my Mac having to be on and awake at the right time.
good to know

When you plug it in, there's an option to enable sync over WiFi. Once you enable that, it doesn't need to be plugged in anymore.
I guess we have to keep iTune open 24-7.

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
@HiRez: Phone plugged into power is only needed for automatic wifi sync.

You can initiate sync manually anytime, no plugging in required.

mackmgg

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2007
But the next time When I opens iTunes, the "David's iPhone" is not there anymore

Is the option "Sync this iPhone over Wi-Fi" checked?
AwLt+

tigress666

macrumors 68040
Apr 14, 2010
Washington State
But the next time When I opens iTunes, the "David's iPhone" is not there anymore

Are you pressing the eject button before you disconnect the iPhone?

That's what I was doing and getting very frustrated cause I was doing everything correctly according to the posts I was seeing (had the iphone set to sync wirelessly and had the check box on itunes set to sync wirelessly).

It wasn't until some one mentioned that casually that I realized that was the one thing I was doing differently. I think Apple is taking for granted that people don't eject their iphone before disconnecting and not realizing there are some people like me that do it just to be safe (harks back to when it was used like a storage disk and you could damage it if you didn't "eject" it first). So I am betting many people don't know that step themselves cause they don't bother pressing the eject before disconnecting.

Sync it up to your mac via USB (after you tell it to sync wirelessly) and then disconnect it without pressing the eject button. As long as you don't press that eject button, you won't have to do that again (least on my mac. Even when I quit itunes and come back it still works).

Prissy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 7, 2009
Is the option "Sync this iPhone over Wi-Fi" checked?
yes it is...
Are you pressing the eject button before you disconnect the iPhone?

That's what I was doing and getting very frustrated cause I was doing everything correctly according to the posts I was seeing (had the iphone set to sync wirelessly and had the check box on itunes set to sync wirelessly).

It wasn't until some one mentioned that casually that I realized that was the one thing I was doing differently. I think Apple is taking for granted that people don't eject their iphone before disconnecting and not realizing there are some people like me that do it just to be safe (harks back to when it was used like a storage disk and you could damage it if you didn't "eject" it first). So I am betting many people don't know that step themselves cause they don't bother pressing the eject before disconnecting.

Sync it up to your mac via USB (after you tell it to sync wirelessly) and then disconnect it without pressing the eject button. As long as you don't press that eject button, you won't have to do that again (least on my mac. Even when I quit itunes and come back it still works).

I tried both... doesn't work. Maybe it's because my PC is connected with a ethernet from the wireless router?

tigress666

macrumors 68040
Apr 14, 2010
Washington State
yes it is...

I tried both... doesn't work. Maybe it's because my PC is connected with a ethernet from the wireless router?

Darn, I was hoping that would help :(. And no, can't be that, my computer is also connected to the 'net with a wireless router. But it's a Mac so I guess your mileage may vary but I'd be very surprised if that were it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.