Is this worth a Mac Genius appointment?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Hecklerdanny, Apr 14, 2008.

1. Hecklerdanny macrumors 6502

Hecklerdanny

I bought my iPhone brand new this January. I haven't Jailbroken or done anything else to do it. I don't think the battery life on it is very good. I'm getting about 3-5 hours of usage, with about 2 days of standby time. This is FAR shorter than the iPhone specs on Apple's website, which boast about 7 days of standby time.

My general usage is checking email on it a few times a day, talking on it for about one hour a day, texting on it a "fair" amount, and using the internet a little bit. For about as long as it takes me to check out MSNBC or Facebook a few times a day. I never really watch movies or listen to music on it. And I never use WiFi (I do not keep WiFi turned on)

What are your thoughts? Worth trying to get it replaced for a better one? My nearest Apple Store is about an hour and a half away, so I don't really want to waste a trip down there for nothing.

Thanks in advance.

2. DizzyRose macrumors regular

DizzyRose

If you live close enough to an Apple Store, it won't harm anyone to make an appointment with an iPhone Genius.

It's free to ask.

3. Hecklerdanny thread starter macrumors 6502

Hecklerdanny

My closest store is about an hour and a half away. 2 hours with traffic. Not close enough to just chance it.

4. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

when apple quotes a standby time of seven days, it's seven days of nothing but standby. when you throw in your 3-5 hours of use, you drastically decrease your standby time and shouldn't realistically expect 7 days without charging. what you describe seems just about right for an iphone.

5. Island Dog macrumors 6502a

Island Dog

If you are only getting 3-5 of usage, I would take it in.

6. emotion macrumors 68040

emotion

I get two days out of my battery with 2-3 hours of heavy EDGE/GPRS use. Maybe an hour of wifi (with wifi and BT off otherwise). Screen set to auto dimming but set low as the default.

I'd like longer though. Sometimes I get less than a full two days.

7. iphonewiz macrumors regular

If you live close to one, they are very helpful. They may swap the unit out for you if they feel it is defective.

8. redgaz26 macrumors 68020

redgaz26

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

I get five hours max of usage. I'd say your phones fine but its worth a try if you can be bothered

9. JBaker122586 macrumors 65816

If your phone lasts 2 days on a charge with mild-average usage, there's not a problem.
    You should probably just charge it every night and not have to worry about it though.:confused:

As long as a phone can last 15 hours with my usage, that's fine for me.