Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iPad Bro

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 2, 2021
Okay, so I have an 11” M2 iPad Pro. I would like to get another iPad. I saw the Air 5 was heavily discounted on Amazon, so that tickled my fancy. But I also have been considering an iPad mini as well. Or even selling my 11” and buying a 12.9”, but I really don’t want to sell what I’ve got.

What would you go with? I haven’t been able to browse or get work done much with my 11” on the Magic Keyboard since my cat is always laying on top of me.

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
When you have a use case for the second iPad that will help you narrow down the selection. While I too occasionally have gear acquisition syndrome, I haven’t personally been able to justify another iPad- which is already a third or fourth device in the matter of importance after my Mac(s) and iPhone.

*~Kim~*

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2013
UK
If you are keeping the 11”, there is no point going for an Air, as it’s just a downgrade on what you have. The 0.1 size difference is because the Pro has thinner bezels. The footprint is the same.

The Mini is your best chance of getting anything done with a pet around. I have done so with my dog. At this stage in the product cycle though, I would go for refurb/heavily discounted only. That’ll also give you the option of four of the same colours as the Air 5 would.

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
Okay, so I have an 11” M2 iPad Pro. I would like to get another iPad. I saw the Air 5 was heavily discounted on Amazon, so that tickled my fancy. But I also have been considering an iPad mini as well. Or even selling my 11” and buying a 12.9”, but I really don’t want to sell what I’ve got.

What would you go with? I haven’t been able to browse or get work done much with my 11” on the Magic Keyboard since my cat is always laying on top of me.
The only way, I'd say to get a fifth generation iPad Air if you already have a fourth generation 11-inch iPad Pro is if you were specifically going to use it for different things. Maybe that's the iPad you beta test new iPadOS releases on. Or maybe it's got a dedicated use powering a connected accessory while your iPad Pro is what you do all the things with. But if you don't have a specific use case, it sounds superfluous and unnecessary.

I find iPad minis to be quite utilitarian and you are likely to take them places you wouldn't want to take a larger iPad with. Plus, there's a lot less feature overlap between the mini and the 11-inch Pro than there is between the mini and the Air.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
If you are keeping the 11”, there is no point going for an Air, as it’s just a downgrade on what you have. The 0.1 size difference is because the Pro has thinner bezels. The footprint is the same.

The Mini is your best chance of getting anything done with a pet around. I have done so with my dog. At this stage in the product cycle though, I would go for refurb/heavily discounted only. That’ll also give you the option of four of the same colours as the Air 5 would.
Agree I don’t see the use case of the air if one already owns the pro. The mini is the way to go. I might be a bit biased though as an iPad Pro 11 and mini 6 owner.

VaruLV

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2019
What would be the use case for you?
Air 5 is about the same size as 11 Pro.
Mini is very compact and lightweight, Im thinking myself about selling my M1 12.9 and upgrade to Mini 7, when that comes out tbh.

floral

macrumors 65816
Jan 12, 2023
Earth

Why do you need two iPads...?

Pezimak

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2021

Get the Mini, but I’d try it in store first to check your ok with the screen, it doesn’t have pro motion. But I’d get the Mini. Easier to hold when your cat wants attention :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.