is this worth it?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by terin5124, Feb 26, 2008.

1. terin5124 macrumors newbie

so I've got a 2.0GHz Core Duo Macbook...

I bought it the day that it came out, and since upgraded it to 2GB memory and upgraded to Leopard.

anyways, will I see any significant performance gains? getting the base model, will it run my 23" ACD any quicker than my macbook does?

i don't do much other than iLife and photoshop, the occasional game which my computer sometimes chokes up on...

all this processor talk just confuses me sometimes...

and I'm aware of all the new features, etc., but I'm talking speed here. :]

thanks!

2. Adokimus macrumors 6502a

Adokimus

Your macbook isn't a gaming machine, but neither is the newest model macbook released today. You said 2.0 GHz core duo, so assuming you didn't mean core 2 duo (confusing, I know), the real improvements for gaming would be the switch from the Intel GMA 950 graphics processor to the Intel GMA X3100 graphics processor. KEEP IN MIND that both of these are integrated graphics, and NOT descrete graphics cards. Also, there have been some driver issues with the GMA X3100. Therefore, depending on the games you're trying to run, there may be only negligible improvement if any. As for the rest, you will be getting a larger HDD, a cooler running, more energy efficient processor, with higher clock speed, more cache, and higher FSB, and greater RAM upgradability (up to 4GB over the previous 3.3GB).

So, talking speed here, do you really need it? I personally doubt you will see significant improvements over your current machine for the uses you mentioned. And I would NOT recommend buying the new MB only to improve gaming as it's not intended to be a gaming machine. But, if your machine is running slow for you, or it's just getting old and you want to buy a new one... now is the time. It is an improvement.

Hope some of that helps.

-Ado

3. terin5124 thread starter macrumors newbie

so sorry!

meant to say the new base model (+4GB?) macbook pro!

:]

oops!

thank you, though. and yes, mine is core duo.

also, when i say "the occasional game," i mean the sims 2 which runs terribly on my macbook even though it is universal, and possibly guitar hero 3 or grand theft auto through windows?

i'm mainly concerned about iphoto/iweb... they run so slowly on my macbook! is it just because they're big files?

4. Adokimus macrumors 6502a

Adokimus

You will see a significant improvement with the MBP.

5. UCLA-Bruin macrumors member

UCLA-Bruin

Just bought a BlackBook.

Yesterday it was the "latest model", but today it is the deal of the century IMHO- $1099 (no tax either). They also had the second oldest BlackBook for $1199 (with AppleCare and .Mac) - I don't need AppleCare, so I'm stokkkkked! BTW They are selling the mid-range MacBook Pros for $1699! - $600 more not worth it for me. :(

MacBook (black) 2.2GHz/160GBHD/1GB RAM

Why?
    - Brand new machine - near "free" upgrade!
    - Will take advantage of my 4GB of RAM
    - Faster processor
    - Faster frontside bus
    - Better graphics card (64MB vs. 144MB)
    - Cool, black exterior
    - New battery!
    - *lighter weight* (check the specs)
    - I get to open a new Mac :)
    - I'm switching out my 200GB@7200RPM hard drive - so its up and running in no time
    - Insert the 160GB drive into my now old white MacBook and resell it for about $850.

OH YEAH!

6. UCLA-Bruin macrumors member

UCLA-Bruin

on my blackbook now!! woo hoo. campus tech transferred my ram and hard drive!