Is This Worth repairing? $$

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by skielandrianna, Mar 22, 2012.

  1. skielandrianna, Mar 22, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2012

    skielandrianna macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Mar 22, 2012
    #1
    Hi! I have an early 2008 15.4" MacBook Pro. The logicboard died,and it also has a big dent by the case seal and I had to replace the keyboard myself earlier.

    I am thinking of getting it fixed. I can get a 2.4 Ghz logic board in there for $340, installed - is this worth it?

    I only browse the Internet and use Photoshop occasionally. I will get a new Macbook pro someday but not yet...

    Thanks for any help!
    -Jen
     
  2. old-wiz macrumors G3

    Joined:
    Mar 26, 2008
    Location:
    West Suburban Boston Ma
    #2
    I think it's worth a try; you aren't putting much stress on it.
     
  3. Delighted macrumors 6502

    Delighted

    Joined:
    Feb 25, 2012
    #3
    hope it works out.
     
  4. Badrottie Suspended

    Badrottie

    Joined:
    May 8, 2011
    Location:
    Los Angeles
    #4
    Yes so you can sell your 2008 MBP after you fix it then you can use $$$ from selling 2008 MBP to buy a new MBP in the future.
     
  5. Risasi macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Sep 16, 2011
    #5
    In your case it's cheaper to spend $340 to repair what is sufficient for you vs running out and buying a new or refurbished product that will cost 3-5 the repair cost.

    The only hesitation I would have is regarding the GPU in your dead computer. Do you know what model it is? I'm wondering if it's one of the effected Nvidia chips that are notorious for going bad. If it is and I were you, I would sink that $340 into a new computer instead.
     
  6. maflynn Moderator

    maflynn

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    May 3, 2009
    Location:
    Boston
    #6
    I think spending 340 is better then spending 2k. If you plan on getting a new MBP this year then I'd say no hold off, but if you plan on keeping this for a while its worthwhile.
     
  7. Ubele macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Mar 20, 2008
    #7
    I have the same model you have and faced the same dilemma last December. I decided to spend the $340 and get the logic board replaced, because it was a lot cheaper than buying a new computer. My current dilemma is whether to replace the almost-full 320 GB hard drive with a faster 750 GB drive, or not put any more money into it and buy a new computer when this MBP feels truly unusable to me. The reason I hesitate putting more money into it is that it's long had wake-from-sleep issues when connected to an external monitor, which some people say is due to the faulty graphics-adapter issue, but Apple told me that the graphics adapter checked out fine. In any case, my Applecare coverage ended two weeks ago.

    I'm still trying to decide what kind of Mac to get when I do upgrade. A lot of what I used to do on my MBP, I now do on my iPad. I use my Mac primarily for Aperture, Logic, video encoding, and any tasks that require heavy typing. I'm leaning toward a 27" iMac, because portability is less important now that I have an iPad. A 27" Thunderbolt display with either a MBP or a MBA is a tempting (if more expensive) option, too. In any case, I'm going to wait until the new Ivy Bridge models come out before I decide. If I get an iMac, I might keep my MBP around as a backup, a media server, or for when I do need portability. I checked eBay, and recently sold MBPs of the model we have have been fetching between $500-600. That's on the borderline for me between "It's worth selling" and "It's worth keeping."
     

Share This Page