is this worth waking up for?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by comebackdwn, Nov 22, 2007.

1. comebackdwn macrumors regular

so im looking to head to best buy at 4am tomorrow for the 500gb western digital hd for $99.99. it says there will be a minimal of 15 at the store. are my chances good of getting one?:confused:

2. lamina macrumors 68000

lamina

Store probably opens at 6?

I've worked at Best Buy, and on boxing day we had people start lining up at 3. I think you'll probably get one. It's likely they'll hand out 'tickets' for each product as to avoid any fist fights in the store.

Good luck!

3. comebackdwn thread starter macrumors regular

i believe they are opening at 5...
    and the tickets thing will be convenient.

4. buffalo macrumors 65816

If I understand things correctly the tickets will be handed out at 3am for the "Doorbuster" deals. This deal on the WD HDD is good Friday and Saturday, so I don't think tickets will be handed out for it. I plan on going sometime tomorrow to get a price match on this as I bought it for $129 on Oct. 28.

5. comebackdwn thread starter macrumors regular

so you think ill be able to get one?

6. buffalo macrumors 65816

No clue. Personally, I wouldn't want to wake up and suffer in the cold to get an external hard drive right when Best Buy opens. So I would take my chances and go in later in the morning. Depends what it is worth to you though. I have no idea what kind of demand a HDD will have.

7. Mindflux macrumors 68000

Mindflux

That's no deal. First off, Best Buy's line starts at 3am or earlier (they hand out tickets). Secondly I just bought a 500 gig external hd for 99.99.

8. MikeTheC Guest

MikeTheC

Gallifrey -- Capitol City, Prydonian Sector
    Of course, from where I stand, it's neither freezing nor snowing, and it isn't likely to any time soon.

Oh, how I love Florida in the winter time.

9. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

Well I doubt you will get one. I drove by my Best Buy last night around 6pm and there already has a line wrapping around the side of the building. There must have been 50 people, some with tents. 6PM! on Thankgivings!:eek: For what? I have no idea. I saw nothing great in the ads.

10. desenso macrumors 6502a

desenso

That hard drive deal would NOT have been worth getting up for.

11. kylep6190 macrumors member

Well is $30 worth getting up that early to you, when you could possibly get it later or just get it online? It sure isn't for me up here in Vermont...if its above freezing, it's a warm day in the winter!

12. comebackdwn thread starter macrumors regular

well, i ended up waking to head to best buy with a friend. we got there a little later then planned. he was going for a home stereo system which he got. i got the drive, but also got 100 blank dvd's for $6.99.

now, it turned out to not be so bad...i got in line at 4:30...and was home by 6:00.

13. GSMiller macrumors 68000

GSMiller

I won't get out of bed for less than 90% off...

...So I don't get outta bed :D

14. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

NewEgg has that drive for $105, free shipping, no tax. That is if you can get on their servers.

Funny thing I bought that drive last year when it was $230 for $150 - $80 off on BF. Haven't really seen deals like that this year.

BTW, normally that drive runs $120 from NewEgg. So don't beleive the savings at Best Buy when all you're saving is off their normally overinflated prices.

EDIT: Sorry, thought you said Seagate. That WD drive runs $105, but you can find it for $99 at ClubIt.

15. buffalo macrumors 65816

As it turns out they wouldn't refund my $30. They said they were not price matching the advertised ads and they were sold out of the HDD so I couldn't buy one and return the old. Kind of annoying. At least I got 300 for $7.