Is this worthy of a reinstall?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Kronie, Mar 12, 2009.

1. Kronie macrumors 6502a

Kronie

Ive been slowly adding programs to my UMBP. Office, Lightroom, Photomatix, F.C.E. Everything been perfect. Yesterday, I Installed Bootcamp and Fusion everything seemed OK. Fusions kind of clunky, but that's just opinion I guess.

Then last night I did six programs from the CS3 master suite. Installation froze halfway through the first disc. I had to start over. I DIDN'T uninstall, restart and install fresh. I just overwrote what was there. Those programs took like three hours to install. I tested them, they all open and work fine.

But this morning, my laptop seems a little off somehow, start-up takes just a hair longer. Its almost acting like its catching up to itself. I click on something and just takes a fraction of a second to respond.

I checked the activity monitor and I noticed that a few programs are freezing on opening, like calculator and iphoto. Iphoto is maxing out the processors for some reason and calculator is just not responding. Everything else seems to work fine.

So the questions are:

Is it normal for macs to slow down a hair after you load it down with programs? it is for PC's.

Should I reformat and use my time machine backup from yesterday BEFORE the bootcamp and adobe installations, and just reinstall without any errors?

I'm worried that first failed adobe installation may have messed the OS up somehow.

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Repair your permissions in Disk Utility after you install anything. For kicks, verify the disk itself.

3. whitefang macrumors 6502

Huh? Is this the procedure for OSX? You have to repair your permissions and verify the disk AFTER ANY INSTALLATIONS????????

4. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

It certainly isn't a requirement, and most people (i.e., me) don't do it, but it's known to fix issues related to installation slowdowns and the like.

If you mess with system files, tt's a good idea to fix the permissions afterwards, too.

Really, you only need to do it if you feel that something went wrong and applications aren't acting as they should.

5. Kronie thread starter macrumors 6502a

Kronie

6. SHADO macrumors 6502a

SHADO

Which is what you did, so repairing permissions would be a good step to take.

7. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Yeah. some people repair permissions after the install new applications and after they uninstall an application just to "clean" things up but is not a requirement. What I also suggest you do is delete the "Caches" folder from ~/Library/ directory. That will improve startup times and application load times as well.

8. Kronie thread starter macrumors 6502a

Kronie

Great. You guys are awesome. These are all the little tricks I know for Windows but need to relearn for OSX.....

9. Kronie thread starter macrumors 6502a

Kronie

Welcome screens. That's what is slowing some of these programs at startup.

For some reason Calculator is still super slow to open, like 45 seconds. I don't ever really use it, but it shouldn't take so long should it?