Is this XP legit?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by shibbydude, Mar 2, 2009.

1. shibbydude macrumors newbie

2. MasterNile macrumors 65816

MasterNile

3. shibbydude thread starter macrumors newbie

Ah, yeah, you're right! Thanks man. This thread is now resolved :)

4. MasterNile macrumors 65816

MasterNile

5. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Good question.
    OEM is just fine… just hasn't got the manuals and is tied (theoretically) to the 1st machine it gets installed on… but it is a hell of a lot easier on the wallet.

6. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

Well I have my own doubts about the web site presented- but that is another story in itself. I will just say that getting a copy of Windows XP Pro (the true OEM which is called a "System Builder" disk by Microsoft) from a verified legitimate source is probably better, in that you can also save money with no worries. XP Pro at [​IMG]newegg.com is available for $139. Also available from Fry's etc. and they are genuine disks- many people have used them fine with BootCamp installations. I have purchased and installed quite a few System Builders disks from both places and have had zero problems.

7. youpey macrumors member

if you want to stay legal, then you arent allowed to install an OEM XP. OEM versions are exactly the same, but they are cheaper because it is meant for system builders. what this means, legally you are only allowed to install it on a computer you built (or was built for you, but then the OS must be installed by the builder)

installing an OEM xp on your mac is not legal

as far as if OEM will work or not, the disks are the same

8. Sehnsucht macrumors 65816

What about OEM copies of Adobe CS4 Master Collection?

http://www.oemlib.com/shop/item/256/

I mean $299 is a DAMN good price for what you'd get. But it's just that I like to keep things nice and legal...plus I've got an eye disorder. I can't see very well...especially can't see myself paying $3,000 for the retail version of CS4. :D :D :D :D

9. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

Amazon has boxed XP home and pro in stock, starting at under $180. All the xp love and none of the grey market heebie-jeebies.

10. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

If this was a legitimate distributor of Adobe products that would be great- only a quick look at the their FAQ page takes any hope of that away:
    • Download only
    • Can't register the software online with the manufacturer
    • No documentation
    • No licenses
    • Price far below market price
    etc. etc.

For kicks read this page or this page and see how many things about this site fit their warnings of OEM software scams!:(