Is thunderbolt hot swappable?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Tulani, Dec 27, 2014.

1. Tulani macrumors 6502a

Tulani

Is it advisable to hotswap or unplug external THUNDERBOLT peripherals like displays and hard drives without having to power off the Mac first?

2. TimothyJohn macrumors newbie

I use a LaCie rugged SSD as a audio/video scratch drive. There's no power switch, and the unit is bus powered via the thunderbolt cable. I have had no issues connecting or disconnecting with the Mac on; as long as I eject the drive first. However, I must admit that I'd feel more comfortable if the drive had a power switch.

3. ColdCase macrumors 68030

As long as you eject the drives from the finder first, there is no issue. I can't think of anything else thats not hotswap. Those of us with laptops routinely just unplug and go..

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Thunderbolt was designed to be fully hot swappable.

5. Tulani thread starter macrumors 6502a

Tulani

I ask because I have all my two thunderbolt ports feeding external monitors and occasionally want to back up my time machine via thunderbolt.

So can I just unplug one of the monitors and plug my hardrive and then reconnect my monitor after backup without causing issues to my iMac in the long run?

6. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

You will not cause harm to your iMac by unplugging them when the machine is powered on.

7. Tulani thread starter macrumors 6502a

Tulani