Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shenfrey

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 23, 2010
Or is it now a hardware issue? I'd imagine Apple did everything they could software wise before shipping it.

Last edited:

DannyBres

macrumors 65816
Oct 30, 2007
UK
It is improvable.

They are scared of fail positive as this will cost them battery life. As the battery life is fine and everyone agrees with this and they finish the day with 30-50%, which I am sure Apple are gathering data about!

They may make the screen come on a little more often (as in with less movement) in future software updates.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Definitely.

The OS turns the display on/off based on sensors readings and there's generally a range of values from an off state to a max value, so they can tweak the tolerance point.

For example, the accelerometer might read from 0.000 to 1.000 and it's at something like 0.400 that triggers true, they could move that down to 0.350 so that it requires less speed. :cool:

Since all that's easily adjusted on the fly, I wouldn't mind some user defined parameters so I could fine tune it to my particular movement angle/speed, etc.

dwreck

macrumors member
Nov 28, 2006
My guess is that improvements to battery technology will be used to make the screen shut off less aggressively rather than make it so that the Watch can go longer without a charge.

HelloMikee

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2009
San Diego
Mine works almost perfectly while my friends doesn't work nearly as accurate. Saw it happen today at the gym. He's going to take it to the Apple Store once the shipping frenzie dies down and hope they have units in store to swap out. I noticed his screen is also not as bright and vibrant.

shenfrey

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 23, 2010
Mine works almost perfectly while my friends doesn't work nearly as accurate. Saw it happen today at the gym. He's going to take it to the Apple Store once the shipping frenzie dies down and hope they have units in store to swap out. I noticed his screen is also not as bright and vibrant.

It works well, just sometimes when I am laying down I want to tilt my watch slowly to take a peak : )

HelloMikee

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2009
San Diego
It works well, just sometimes when I am laying down I want to tilt my watch slowly to take a peak : )

I think that's intended to not work while laying down. Otherwise for those that sleep with their watch, it would be going on and off as they move.

Standing, my wrist tilt works perfectly. I think that have a specific algorithm for this sort of movement while standing to limit the watch from turning on when you're just moving about.

ryanide

macrumors 6502
Jul 23, 2002
Screen off time is most annoying

I wish users were able to set the time off delay. I find myself constantly shaking my wrist to get the screen on and annoyed that it is off in 6 seconds.

I wish you could set the number of seconds that the screen is ON, then instead of it going off completely, have it dim to 50% for another period of time before it shuts off. That way for example the screen will come on for 15 seconds, then dim for another 15 seconds.

I'd happily forego battery life to have this option. Besides, my battery is usually still at 40-50% at the end of the day.

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom

Just curious - if you have the Watch on the highest brightness setting, does it still auto adjust up and down in that range?

Even on the highest brightness, my watch is noticeably brighter when it's held under a lamp for a few seconds, but once the screen goes off it's back to being dimmer. Is this the way it's meant to work? I suppose it's in an effort to conserve battery.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.