Is Time Capsule a good choice for me?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by s1lv3r, Jul 4, 2012.

1. s1lv3r macrumors member

s1lv3r

Hey All,

First of all, I thanks to anyone who can help me with this issue.

In the moment I own one 2010 Macbook Air (256gb SSD) and one 1TB Portable external USB drive. My stuff (music, photos and 720p movies) are partially stored at the external drive and partially at the internal SSD. My idea is to get one 2TB Time Capsule to make things easier. I'll keep everything on the TC (as a shared network drive) and just store everyday files on my Air. Will probably make TM backups too on the TC, and will use my external drive as a TM backup (plugged into the USB port of the TC) or will use it as a backup for my most important files only, that will be in the TC HDD too. I still haven't decided yet.

My main concern is playing 720p movies via streaming on my computer. I don't know if i'll be able to do it flawlessly. Anyone here ever tried to do it? Also is it possible to have all my iPhoto albums stored on the TC and to be able to deal with them anytime I'm connected to the network?

Besides that i'm considering buying and jail breaking an ATV, with the same purpose - watch my movies on the TV. Will it be able to play the 720p videos thru the wifi network or will I need a wire?

Is TC a good choice for me? Or should I look for other stuff?

Thanks again!

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

People can stream 720p movies from Netflix perfectly fine (depending on their connection). I don't know why your local network wouldn't be able to.

3. flynz4 macrumors 68040

Streaming is usually fine on a NAS. I do not think you will have a problem.

I personally would not be satisfied keeping any database on a NAS... and that includes my pictures. I would prefer to have them resident on the machine... or connected using some type of DAS.

/Jim

4. Lance-AR macrumors 6502

Keep in mind you can't back up to TC anything stored on the TC internal HDD. Everything else should be good. If you go with ATV3 and convert your movies to MP4/M4V you can stream 1080p.