Is Time Capsule easily set up?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by mrat93, Jun 25, 2008.

1. mrat93 macrumors 65816

mrat93

I read in a recent article about wireless routers (I believe it was written by David Pouge) that most wireless routers are not easily set up and configured. I learned the same when we set up our Linksys router. Is Time Capsule as easy to set up as it shows in the video at Apple's site?

2. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

it couldn't possibly get any easier, I mean it literally sets itself up all you have to do is input two or three things and it does the rest. you're up and running in 5 minutes. seriously.

3. mrat93 thread starter macrumors 65816

mrat93

Thanks. Does it come with Airport Express and a USB cable for a printer? Or do I have to set that up separately?

4. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

it doesnt come with a usb cable, you have to buy that seperately. it comes with the airport utility software if thats what you mean. brings the cd with windows and mac versions.

5. mrat93 thread starter macrumors 65816

mrat93

I asked if it came with Airport Express and a USB cable for a printer. I already learned that the answer is no. Thanks again.

6. skorpien macrumors 68020

What do you mean does it come with an AirPort Express? The Time Capsule is an AirPort Extreme Base Station with a built in hard drive for all intents and purposes. What would including an AirPort Express accomplish? And no, it doesn't come with a USB cable. That will either come with your printer, or would need to be purchased separately (as in my case).

7. mrat93 thread starter macrumors 65816

mrat93

On Apple's instructional video online, it says you need an AirPort Express and a USB cable to attach a wireless printer to the network.

8. skorpien macrumors 68020

Ah I see. Well I'm not sure if they've erroneously posted that information or if you've misconstrued the video, but I can guarantee you that it's not necessary to have an Express to add a printer to the network. I have my Time Capsule serving as my main router with my Epson Stylus Photo RX595 attached to the USB port, and I am able to print fine from both PCs and Macs connected to the network. Although I have never seen the video myself, I would guess that the only time an Express would be necessary is if you had a printer that was for some reason unable to be in the same room as the Time Capsule and therefore must be attached wirelessly. Even if one were to attach an external HDD to the USB port and wanted to attach a printer as well, all they would need to do is purchase a USB hub and attach the devices through it.

Just a word of warning though, if you plan on using a USB multifunction printer on your network, the advanced functions (such as scanning, faxing, etc.) will not work. Only the printing will work through USB. You can however purchase a multifunction network printer (one that connects directly to the network through ethernet cable or WiFi) and that will be 100% compatible (that is if the model is compatible with Macs or whichever machine you access it from).

9. MacBlackBook22 macrumors 6502

MacBlackBook22

It sure is easy to setup. I did that this afternoon. I replaced my Airport Extreme with the 1TB Time Capsule and it literally installed itself. My 2 macbooks are working great via wireless and my macmini which is hard wired to the TC is also up and working. I have just set up time machine with one of the macbooks (it's always floating around the house and it was a pain to have to drag a small portable HD to use Time Machine for it) and the macmini. The other macbook I have upstairs and is already connected via firewire to a my book HD so I don't plan to have it go to the TC. All machines see each other via "back to my mac" Also the Airport express which I have hooked up to the bedroom stereo was automatically found when the TC got booted up.
    I totally endorse getting a TC