Is Time Capsule right for me?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by levitynyc, Feb 29, 2008.

1. levitynyc macrumors 65816

I was thinking of buying it and I was wondering if this is worth it. I currently have verizon DSL 3MPS and am using the included modem as a wireless router. It is in my basement. It believe its a G router. I have an iMac set on the 2nd floor along with my wife's PC on a G wireless card.

I have my 360 and PS3 wired to the modem / router in the basement via ethernet cables and an Apple TV syched wirelessly as well. The iMac upstairs gets full bars on the WiFi signal with very very occasional drops to 2 bars.

I was thinking about buying the Time Capsule to use as a router as well as a backup for Time machine as I don't own an external HD. I have some pretty important files on my computer that I need to back up.

Would I be better off just buying an external HD? Its much less expensive. However I would be interested in speeding up my wifi upstairs. Would it be worth it? Is an N router worth the hype?

2. klas macrumors newbie

Well, backing up is always important... as far as N router "hype" it shows that it's really working.

In my setup, I have cable modem upstairs with all the hardware, wiring, servers and of course AEBS, but signal downstairs was always weak. Running wires from upstairs to downstairs was out of the question. I've tried PowerLines and it didn't work very well.

Finally, I got 2nd AEBS for downstairs (which is now will be replaced by Time Capsule for backup) and that solved all my connection issues. I setup 2x of AEBS in WDS and I can even stream 8GB video files from upstairs to downstairs using N without a any connection drops.

3. levitynyc thread starter macrumors 65816

Like I said, I have a good connection, its just the speed I wonder about. Would N be any faster? Would the 360 or PS3 run fast or slower.

4. klas macrumors newbie

well, without getting too technical about it, yes it is faster if you are doing bandwidth intensive stuff (copying files, streaming video etc...) using wireless, but for general browsing internet g is sufficient.