Is Time Capsule worth it with DDWRT?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by gpspad, Nov 18, 2014.

1. gpspad macrumors 6502

I am considering a time capsule to automatically backup a mac mini for my parents. The thing is I have a DDWRT router I really like and is setup with hot spots and a bridge to my media setup.

I guess my questions is, is it worth getting an apple time capsule if I don't need the the router function and my parents will be connected to the DDWRT modem?

I want the backups just to happen and pain free for my parents, but just don't need the router function of time capsule.

2. mac8867 macrumors 6502

3. gpspad thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks, didn't think of that option.

Can you still use the time machine function to do incremental backups?

I am really looking for a set it and forget it backup option.

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

No you can't You cannot use an Airport Express with a USB drive for Time Machine. It is not supported.

You need either the new, tower shaped Airport Extreme with a USB drive, or the Time Capsule. You can just setup the Time Capsule in bridge mode and use it only for backups if you want.

5. gpspad thread starter macrumors 6502

thanks, two questions...

I could probably just plug the time capsule with a LAN connection to my router or a switch. Would that allow a mac mini to see it and backup to it?

Second question, could i connect the macmini into two wireless networks at once? ie.....have my normal wireless network, then have the macmini backup to the wireless network the time capsule broadcasts?

6. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Yes that would work fine.

Nope... that won't work.

7. mac8867 macrumors 6502

So sorry for misleading you there. I actually have an airport, old one that is about the same size as a mini. It extends my wifi network, and publishes an external usb drive for time machine backups. This is with a non-apple router for my primary internet.

8. smellalot macrumors 6502

what you have is an airport extreme, not an airport express. :apple:

9. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Only the Extreme and Time Capsule supports having a USB drive attached. AirPort Expresses only support having USB printers added.

The AirPort Extreme can function as a simple AP (in bridge mode) with a USB disk attached. The new tower style AirPort Extreme (6th generation) supports officially Time Machine to a USB drive. The Time Capsule would work as well in this situation.

10. gpspad thread starter macrumors 6502

So last question....

As far as ease of use is concerned, if I plug a time capsule into my lane, do I gain and functionality or eases of use over say plugging a hard drive into an airport extreme?

I got my parents a mac mini and want backups to just work on there own.

11. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Setup, features, and usage would be identical.

12. ColdCase, Nov 22, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2014

ColdCase macrumors 68030

The drive in the TC is directly attached to the TC CPU and seems to be a more robust solution (less troublesome) than external USB drives on an AEBS. New generation extremes with USB drives have improved performance, but still don't seem as robust as the TC. Then you aways run the risk of fickle USB drives. A compatible USB drive/enclosure plugged into a current generation AEBS seems solid for time machine, slower for file sharing applications.

So the most plug and play, simple, and reliable option is a time capsule plugged into a router ethernet port and with the TC's wireless and router (DHCP service) turned off. If you don't want to take a chance on hiccups, use a TC.

13. waw74 macrumors 68030

you can just plug a USB drive directly into the mini, and back up to that. It'll function the same as to a drive in a time capsule.

it's a cheaper solution and the backups will be faster.

a small bus powered drive would sit pretty unobtrusively on the desk.