Is Time Machine REALLY backing up everything?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by fitworldmac, Sep 8, 2010.

1. fitworldmac macrumors member

I have tons of pics and music....so does time machine really back up ALL of it and keep the same quality???? I cant seem to retrieve or look at the files individually when Im browsing thru the time machine backup hard drive.

2. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

As long as the folders have not been excluded from the backup then, yes they should all be backed up.

3. ronzoninj macrumors newbie

How are you browsing through timemachine? Are you using the Time Machine browser or just the FINDER?

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I've never had any issues and I've needed to issue a restore. I got my entire system back.

5. fitworldmac thread starter macrumors member

Well , I am using the finder. The thing is that I want to see the actual pictures before I upload them into my computer and into my aperture application.

When you use time machine it seems you have to upload the whole library without seeing what pics are gonna come up....ya know?

6. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Nope, you're just going about it the wrong way. Open Aperture, then click the Time Machine icon in your Dock (or from the menubar icon, depending on your setup). Click the back arrow to scroll back to your last backup, or choose a date from the right side if you want to go back farther, then choose the pictures you want to restore, or if you've confirmed you want them all, click Restore All.

jW