Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LoneWolf121188

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 7, 2007
Longmont, CO
I got my computer back yesterday after Apple replaced the mobo. I tried to do a Time Machine backup, but it kept failing and wouldn't tell me why (there was no error message, just "Failed". So I tried to reset it by switching my backup drive to a different partition on my external and then switching back to my original partition. Now, instead of seeing that there's already a backup for this computer in the the Backups.backupdb folder on the HDD, it tries to create a new folder ("*****'s Computer 2") and start from scratch. How can I get it to recognize that there's already a backup there?

killmoms

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
Durham, NC
I believe Time Machine keeps track of which computer is which by the MAC address on your Ethernet or Airport interface, which would obviously change if you got your logic board replaced.

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
IDK, serial # sounds like a better ID of computer to me, IF it indeed IDs your computer before operation.

ID computer based on MainBoard? kinda dumb if you ask me.

PS. Im not sure what the problem indeed is, see if anybody else can bring more information..

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
IDK, serial # sounds like a better ID of computer to me, IF it indeed IDs your computer before operation.

ID computer based on MainBoard? kinda dumb if you ask me.

No, using the serial number to ID computers is dumb - the way to identify computers is by MAC addresses.

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
No, using the serial number to ID computers is dumb - the way to identify computers is by MAC addresses.

so if user got their network card replaced, TM won't recognize the new machine?

How is that smart?

IMHO, TM should be able to ID the machine in the situations like this, when users got part of its hardware replaced.

Osarkon

macrumors 68020
Aug 30, 2006
Wales
You should at least be able to point it to the original backups if it doesn't recognise that it's the same machine.

I agree that it's rather useless.

dhd

macrumors member
Dec 12, 2007
Hamster-Dam
I got my computer back yesterday after Apple replaced the mobo. I tried to do a Time Machine backup, but it kept failing and wouldn't tell me why (there was no error message, just "Failed". So I tried to reset it by switching my backup drive to a different partition on my external and then switching back to my original partition. Now, instead of seeing that there's already a backup for this computer in the the Backups.backupdb folder on the HDD, it tries to create a new folder ("*****'s Computer 2") and start from scratch. How can I get it to recognize that there's already a backup there?

We are on the same boat!. My mbp was sent to repair and they changed the logic board as well. When I tried to back up I got the "Failed" message...

Any suggestions?

EDITED:

I have found this:

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=6782596&#6782596
http://davidleber.net/?p=288

I'll give it a try later, I'm scared of the terminal part though!!!:(

LoneWolf121188

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 7, 2007
Longmont, CO
I tried both and neither worked for me. I checked that the file whose name is the MAC address had been changed to my new MAC, and it has, but it still won't work. it might have something to do with permissions...its current permissions are: -r-------- 1 root wheel.

dhd

macrumors member
Dec 12, 2007
Hamster-Dam
Well I just tried to give meread/write access to the external drive with Cmd+I and it is applying privileges since last night!!!, is this normal?, it also says that the folder was created on January 1st 1970...so I don't know if both tips work. In the link of richthomas there is other tip hidden into the comments of the blog...at least we have another alternative!....

EDITED:

This problem also has affected my Itunes purchases, I had to authorize my machine twice!, one for the faulty MoBo and the second one for the new one...:mad:

Globetrotter

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2007
London
Well I just tried to give meread/write access to the external drive with Cmd+I and it is applying privileges since last night!!!, is this normal?, it also says that the folder was created on January 1st 1970...so I don't know if both tips work. In the link of richthomas there is other tip hidden into the comments of the blog...at least we have another alternative!....

EDITED:

This problem also has affected my Itunes purchases, I had to authorize my machine twice!, one for the faulty MoBo and the second one for the new one...:mad:

I had to authorise mine just for a re-install. :(

dhd

macrumors member
Dec 12, 2007
Hamster-Dam
I had to authorise mine just for a re-install. :(

Well I left the finder working all night long "Applying privileges to..." and it is still working at it!. The drive is a lacie quadra 320gb...Should it take so long?. For the record I left Ichat on at the same time, I dunno if the "Applying privileges to..." action gets bothered by apps running at the same time.
Also, after I authorized my computer on itunes i can indeed listen to my library, but I can't change the titles, artists, etc through the Get Info command???

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
Well I left the finder working all night long "Applying privileges to..." and it is still working at it!. The drive is a lacie quadra 320gb...Should it take so long?. For the record I left Ichat on at the same time, I dunno if the "Applying privileges to..." action gets bothered by apps running at the same time.
Also, after I authorized my computer on itunes i can indeed listen to my library, but I can't change the titles, artists, etc through the Get Info command???

what a mess, I absolutely don't think TM should take a whole night, it can't be right.

Did you call applecare tech support? MAC match is a stupid idea, it just not intuitive at all.

Leopard 10.5.3 should put this on top list, IMHO.

dhd

macrumors member
Dec 12, 2007
Hamster-Dam
what a mess, I absolutely don't think TM should take a whole night, it can't be right.

Did you call applecare tech support? MAC match is a stupid idea, it just not intuitive at all.

Leopard 10.5.3 should put this on top list, IMHO.

It is not TM what was working, it was (is) the finder because I have to set privileges (write/read from my admin account) in order be able to start the change of MAC addresses.
I agree completely...to change a MAC address doesn't semm so difficult, but I dunno what my mummy will do if this happens to her mac...

dhd

macrumors member
Dec 12, 2007
Hamster-Dam
I've left the finder working on applying read&write privileges on my back-up hd for hours and it seems that it will never end the task...and without those privileges I can't apply the terminal workarounds posted above...Is really any other solution that reformat the drive a loose that invaluable TM backups?

Thanks!!!

killmoms

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
Durham, NC
Is really any other solution that reformat the drive a loose that invaluable TM backups?

Wait. You still have all your data, you're just trying to preserve the backups? Why? By now you could've formatted that drive and successfully re-backed up everything. You're just wasting time for no reason at this point, really.

thechidz

macrumors 68000
Jul 25, 2007
New York City
I have the same problem. three different mac addresses on my TM hdd and I can only access backups from the most recent. Very annoying..

dhd

macrumors member
Dec 12, 2007
Hamster-Dam
Wait. You still have all your data, you're just trying to preserve the backups? Why? By now you could've formatted that drive and successfully re-backed up everything. You're just wasting time for no reason at this point, really.

I know I have all my data on the external drive but it's very annoying to introduce my password every time I rename,move,delete, etc a file on that drive :confused:(this includes inability to change any info on my Itunes library, very annoying!!!!:mad:). Also I can't use the TM interface because I can't manage to tell the app that the backups belong to my "mbp" (let's assume that's the name of my computer), not "mbp 2". What will happen if I try to re-install/recover my system from my TM backup?, will it choose the 1 or the 2?. There is nothing in that one because there is not enough space to start a fresh TM backup.
I don't have another ext. drive at hand where to transfer the data in order to reformat MY ext. drive and retransfer again the data...

Thanks for reminding that i'm wasting my time for no reason...I take it on the bright side and take it as a first glance to Terminal and intrincacies of osx;)

Ps. check on the attachment what my trash shows: a file modified on 1904!!!:eek:

Attachments

• misterioustrash.jpg
    misterioustrash.jpg
    513.3 KB · Views: 74

dhd

macrumors member
Dec 12, 2007
Hamster-Dam
Somehow I managed to be able to browse the TM Backups from the app itself following the terminal commands explained here:
http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1453471&tstart=150
(see attachment for more info) but I still have the problem that it tries to start a fresh backup:confused:
Still I can delete files from other folders from the ext drive...finder keeps telling me that I have insufficient priviliges for that...

Attachments

• Terminal Saved Output2 casi.txt
    3.4 KB · Views: 294

dhd

macrumors member
Dec 12, 2007
Hamster-Dam
Any ideas?...I guess I'm missing something...but I can'nt figure out how to tell to MY ext hd that I have write/read permissions on it...I can't delete files from it nothing at all...

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    379.2 KB · Views: 102
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.