Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!
  • Did you order new AirTags? We've opened a dedicated AirTags forum.

sedgeman

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 19, 2009
Hi

Hope someone can help with this

I am having to send my Old Macbook 2.1 off for repair - but more than likley it will be replaced

Whats the best way to transfer all Data, Documents, Music Pictures etc to my new MAcbook when i get it?

I've called Apple Tech support who have said Time Machine would be the best option?

If i do use Time Machine can i just select the Music, Documents and Pictures to be copied to my new Macbook?

Thanks

benwiggy

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2012
When you get a new Mac, it will prompt you for transferring data from another Mac, using Migration Assistant, which you can also run anytime from the Utilities folder.
It gives you the option of what you want to transfer, and whether to connect directly to another Mac, or to a TM backup.

Comment

sedgeman

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 19, 2009
When you get a new Mac, it will prompt you for transferring data from another Mac, using Migration Assistant, which you can also run anytime from the Utilities folder.
It gives you the option of what you want to transfer, and whether to connect directly to another Mac, or to a TM backup.

Thanks for the response - I won;t have my old Macbook when i get the new one delievered so will need to store all the Data elsewhere

Would Time Machine be the best option?

Or shall i just transfer the data to external hardrive?

Comment

benwiggy

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2012
Would Time Machine be the best option?
Or shall i just transfer the data to external hardrive?
So you want to know whether the existing copy of all your data is better than making a new copy of all your data? :p
Both are as good as each other: one takes more time and hardware.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.