Is Time Machine the best thing to use when transferring Data from Old Macbook to New

Discussion in 'macOS' started by sedgeman, Jan 4, 2013.

1. sedgeman macrumors member

Hi

Hope someone can help with this

I am having to send my Old Macbook 2.1 off for repair - but more than likley it will be replaced

Whats the best way to transfer all Data, Documents, Music Pictures etc to my new MAcbook when i get it?

I've called Apple Tech support who have said Time Machine would be the best option?

If i do use Time Machine can i just select the Music, Documents and Pictures to be copied to my new Macbook?

Thanks

2. benwiggy macrumors 68020

When you get a new Mac, it will prompt you for transferring data from another Mac, using Migration Assistant, which you can also run anytime from the Utilities folder.
    It gives you the option of what you want to transfer, and whether to connect directly to another Mac, or to a TM backup.

3. sedgeman thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the response - I won;t have my old Macbook when i get the new one delievered so will need to store all the Data elsewhere

Would Time Machine be the best option?

Or shall i just transfer the data to external hardrive?

4. benwiggy macrumors 68020

So you want to know whether the existing copy of all your data is better than making a new copy of all your data? :p
    Both are as good as each other: one takes more time and hardware.