Is TMobile Hotspot@Home equivalent possible?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by savechief, Mar 14, 2008.

1. savechief macrumors newbie

My last concern with the iPhone is that AT&T service sucks at my house. Something similar to the TMobile Hot Spot @ Home service would solve that problem by allowing me to place cell calls over WiFi. So, is it something that can be solved through software (SDK) or would it require a hardware change (SOL)?

John

2. diamond.g macrumors 603

diamond.g

The baseband would have to know how to hand off the call to the WiFi transmitter. I am not sure if that can be programmed in via software or not. In theory I guess it could be, but it isn't something that the SDK would solve.

3. JBaker122586 macrumors 65816

I believe Apple reps have stated that VoIP will be possible and allowed with the SDK.

4. savechief thread starter macrumors newbie

So is VoIP functionality via software all that's needed for the iPhone to replicate the functionality of the TMobile Blackberry Curve, Nokia 6086 or Samsung t409/Katalyst (the four phones that work with TMobile's HotSpot @ Home service)?

John

5. diamond.g macrumors 603

diamond.g

But that doesn't mean that you will be able to hand off the GSM call to the WiFi hotspot. OP is asking for TMobiles hotspot@home service. I am not sure if that can be done without Apple allowing VOIP on EDGE.

6. waterskier2007 macrumors 68000

waterskier2007

yeah as long as you stay in the network for the duration of the call