Is Toast Worth It?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Ellen, Nov 30, 2007.

1. Ellen macrumors regular

I'm a Windows convert who formerly used Nero as my CD/DVD burning program. I was wondering if it is worth getting Toast, or if the builtin programs with Leopard are good enough. I do like to compile and burn video programs and music CDs, so I make my own projects as opposed to just copying discs. Thanks.

2. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

In a word, yes.

Best program I have bought for the Mac so far (baring Logic and FCS).

3. Bern macrumors 68000

Bern

Of course you can burn your music cds in iTunes and compose and burn your movies in iDVD.

Toast is expensive so if you're not cashed up yet try out they OS X and iLife built in alternatives for a while before making your decision. I use to keep Toast all the time, but have recently started using what I already have and Toast got the flick.

4. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Toast is the de facto standard for burning CDs and DVDs on a Mac. It's pretty much essential, IMO, and well worth the money.

Can even be quite cheap if you browse around a bit and quite often cost as low as $40 with (a bunch of) rebates... (edit: first place I looked, at Amazon, has it at $55, with rebates at the moment... probably possible to get it even cheaper elsewhere...)

5. Soulstorm macrumors 68000

Soulstorm

Toast is the most essential program I have so far. It's fast, reliable, prettty, and has a lot of features, more than I had imagined before I buy it. My advice is to get it ASAP, if you don't have it.

6. hayduke macrumors 65816

hayduke

I usually just use the Finder or Disk Utility for burning, which is mostly for data back-up. I also use SimplyBurns for archiving/backing-up DVDs. Why is Toast so useful?

7. GadgetNeil macrumors newbie

I'm wondering the same thing Hayduke is.

Also, how does Toast work with burning DVD movies? If I own a DVD movie and want to make a copy (for my own use,of course, not to sell!) will it do this, or will the copy protection on most commercial releases prevent it?

8. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Use Mac the Ripper to rip the DVD (keeping it in exactly the same quality) and then use Toast to burn it. Toast also has the advantage of being able to compress double layer discs so that they will fit onto a single layer disk.

To the person who suggested using iDVD. Toast is a completely different application that is used for a completely different purpose. It is designed to burn movies which have already been encoded or for copying DVDs. iDVD is designed to take footage in DV (or another editing format) and then creating DVD menu system to burn your own footage onto DVD.

9. quigleybc macrumors 68030

quigleybc

Beautiful Vancouver British Columbia, Canada
    Toast is one of my favorite apps. (although I still use 7. version 8 didn't work well for me)

get it

10. Soulstorm macrumors 68000

Soulstorm

Toast also has the ability to take quicktime videos and make them DVD (single or Dual Layer), or DivX CD, Super Video CD, etc. It also has a great media browser for all iApps, and support for numerous formats for copying.

11. JFreak macrumors 68040

JFreak

Toast 8 is among best apps out there. Not absolutely necessary, but very handy.

12. Ellen thread starter macrumors regular

Looks like the rebate is only available if you are upgrading - but I'll search around and probably buy it.

13. Ellen thread starter macrumors regular

What is the difference if any between Mac the Ripper and Handbrake?

14. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Its really a great app...definitely worth it if you like burning :)

15. Bern macrumors 68000

Bern

Yes I realise that, but the OP states "I do like to compile and burn video programs and music CDs, so I make my own projects as opposed to just copying discs" so I assume it was meant this person was creating their own dvd movies like one would with iDVD.

I used Toast for years believing it was the must have app for os x, but it's really expensive (in fact to purchase in Australia costs $160 upgrade $80) 10.5 only cost $120. Now I found I can use OS X's built in features to burn everything I need (I don't copy dvd movies I prefer to own the originals).