Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

agkm800

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 18, 2009
How often do you order 'Today's special' recommended by the waiter/waitress that's not in the menu?

Do you even trust that the 'Today's special' is really special?

Do you even pay attention to the recommendation or do you just pretend to listen to what your waiter is saying?

As for me, I almost always order what's in the regular menu and never the special.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Sometimes it's really tasty. But I don't eat meat aside from seafood, so at most of the restaurants I go to, the specials are not options anyways most of the time. It really depends on the place, though... Italian places in particular seem to do more really interesting specials.

Rapmastac1

macrumors 65816
Aug 5, 2006
In the Depths of the SLC!
^ Exactly, sad but true. When we have specials, it's because we got a great deal from our major supplier (USFOODS) and we get a lot of product for not so much, so we pass those savings on to you. We did have Lobster for the longest time (special for like six months).

But other than that, they usually aren't very special unless you like whatever it is that is on special.

Decrepit

macrumors 65816
Sep 6, 2007
Foothills to the Rocky Mountains
Depends on the place. Special will sometimes mean "Chef wants to try something new, so we bought enough of it to make X meals today. If it is popular, it might come back in a regular menu item"

I've had some very good specials that weren't remotely leftovers or reused portions of prior menu items.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
It depends, sometimes I do and sometimes I pass on it.

I just went out to eat with the family and they had a chicken parm pizza as a special. I really wanted that, but we had pizza earlier in the week and that would have been too much. Oh well

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.