Is touch ID improved in the 6

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by metsjetsfan, Sep 9, 2014.

1. metsjetsfan macrumors 65816

Did they mention this? Doesnt say on the site

2. ionjohn macrumors 65816

ionjohn

I don't think so, it's already very accurate.

3. nnacrumors macrumors 6502

How would it be improved if it's already accurate for most all customers?

4. Ann P macrumors 68020

Wonder if it still makes that annoying clicking noise.

5. PoppaKap macrumors regular

Touchid was a pos for me initially but it's worked great since the first update.

6. Rigby macrumors 601

7. r-m macrumors 6502a

What clicking noise?
    I feel like that video isn't giving the full story?
    Was that just a random piece of rubber or an intricately printed copy of someone's fingerprint that was listed off something that had a perfect fingerprint on it?
    My guess is the latter, from something I saw when the 5S came out.

It would be interesting to see how many times it has actually been used. I'd like to think I could remote wipe the device before someone manages to lift the right print off my screen and make a copy..

8. patrickbarnes macrumors regular

No.. It is significantly improved in iOS 8 on the 5S.

9. Angriff macrumors member

To me it seems to be both faster and a touch more accurate. I got about 1 failure in 10 tries or so on the 5S and it seems about 1 in 20 on the 6 so far.

----------

There is nothing "simple" about that process, and it's a load of crap because you need a clear, full section of a print at least as large as the Touch ID sensor. On something you handle regularly, you're going to have several overlapping fingerprints of different fingers and the same fingers but aligned differently as well as smudged prints. Sure when you specifically leave a nice clear and complete print on a surface for the express purpose of cloning it to demonstrate, it looks like a relatively simple thing to do, but in real life you aren't going to find finger prints that clear on objects not specifically handled with the intent of leaving a good fingerprint behind.

10. Rigby macrumors 601

It's the same piece of rubber with a printed fingerprint that he made to spoof the 5S and the Samsung S5 fingerprint sensors. He made it using a fingerprint lifted from the phone's screen. You can find some more information on his web page.
    Yes, it probably takes at least a few hours to make a copy. But a thief smart enough to do that would probably just remove the SIM to prevent remote wiping.

Touch ID is certainly better than no passcode, but people should be aware that it can be circumvented by a determined attacker.

11. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

I'm finding that mine got worse :S had to reregister my prints though, may have to do it again

12. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

I have nothing to compare it to since I moved from a 4, but dang, it rocks and I haven't had a failure yet!

I'm assuming it is a "give it time" thing, but i'm like a kid in a candy store honestly! :D