Is Touch ID on iPhone waterproof?

airlied

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 8, 2011
I know iPhone is not a waterproof phone and nobody wanted to throw it into water. But is Touch ID waterproof? Since I unlock the phone using my wet fingers sometimes and if it's not I'll be burned.

Narien

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2011
Since the button is "lose" from the rest of the phone, there is a gap where water could get in. So no, it is not waterproof.

617aircav

Suspended
Jul 2, 2012
I know iPhone is not a waterproof phone and nobody wanted to throw it into water. But is Touch ID waterproof? Since I unlock the phone using my wet fingers sometimes and if it's not I'll be burned.

How can it be waterproof when the phone is not?

ttmrn

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2014
tx
Technically the Touch ID parts shld not be affected by water.

However as a whole iPhone, it's inconclusive.

hipnetic

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2010
I'm sure that Apple built some degree of water resistance around the Touch ID, because as the OP mentioned, a lot of people are going to occasionally touch the screen with a not-perfectly-dry finger on occasion. I don't think a minimal amount of dampness on the outside of any part of the iPhone is going to trigger any water failures that would cause a problem or be detected by a diagnostic test. Just like taking it out and using it when it's lightly raining outside shouldn't cause problems. Just don't drop it in water, and you should be fine.

Retired Cat

macrumors 65816
Jun 12, 2013

I looked closely at photos from iFixit.com's teardowns of the 5 and 5S last year. I was concerned about the effect of sweat seeping into the home button, but I believe it isn't a problem for the following reasons:

In the iPhone 5, the home button cover is glued (creating a seal) on top of a rectangular polymer gasket. The gasket in turn has adhesive on its upper face, which seals against the underside of the display unit. A steel plate that backs the entire home button assembly and is secured with 2 screws helps keep this all in place.

Liquid that gets in between the gap between the home button and display assembly is blocked by the adhesive seal between the button cover and gasket, and by the adhesive seal between the gasket and display assembly.

The iPhone 5S is constructed similarly, except that the home button cover has the TouchID sensor under the circular sapphire panel.

Liquid will only get in if the gasket tears or the adhesive fails. Under normal usage patterns in normal climates, I think it would be years before the gasket and adhesive began to degrade. Unless you are squirting industrial solvents into the gap between the home button and display, I really don't think you should worry.

617aircav

Suspended
Jul 2, 2012
I'm sure that Apple built some degree of water resistance around the Touch ID, because as the OP mentioned, a lot of people are going to occasionally touch the screen with a not-perfectly-dry finger on occasion. I don't think a minimal amount of dampness on the outside of any part of the iPhone is going to trigger any water failures that would cause a problem or be detected by a diagnostic test. Just like taking it out and using it when it's lightly raining outside shouldn't cause problems. Just don't drop it in water, and you should be fine.

The question was is it waterproof and the answer is clearly, NO.

hipnetic

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2010
The question was is it waterproof and the answer is clearly, NO.
Don't be an ass. Despite the OP's poorly worded title, he made it clear in his actual post that he was concerned about whether he could safely use the Touch ID with a wet finger, and the answer is very likely, YES.

Kissaragi

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2006
Probably be fine with wet fingers but the drier the better as theres always a risk of some water getting in down the sides of the button.

Really wish apple had made the 6 waterproof, doesn't seem like it would have been hard to do as it all looks pretty seamless and well sealed as is.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Don't be an ass. Despite the OP's poorly worded title, he made it clear in his actual post that he was concerned about whether he could safely use the Touch ID with a wet finger, and the answer is very likely, YES.
Yes, but I believe wet fingers can interfere with the accuracy of TouchID. So better to dry fingers first when possible.

Retired Cat

macrumors 65816
Jun 12, 2013
Probably be fine with wet fingers but the drier the better as theres always a risk of some water getting in down the sides of the button.

Really wish apple had made the 6 waterproof, doesn't seem like it would have been hard to do as it all looks pretty seamless and well sealed as is.

See my post above. Unless the gasket or sealing adhesive breaks, liquid that falls down the side of the button can't get into the inside of the device.

logeox

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2014
If you have ever taken apart a iPhone you know that there is a rubber seal around the home button on the underside. This prevents water from entering into the electronics area. When you depress the button it hits the sensor for the home button. I can't comment how this has changed since they added the fingerprint scanner to home button.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.