General Is Touch ID working better with one finger ?

FatPuppy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 14, 2012
I mean, I always thought that if I register my right thumb 5 times, touch id will be better but now I have one finger registered and even with greasy finger it works better. How is it better?

Last edited:

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
I mean, I always thought that if I register my right thumb 5 times, touch id will be better but now I have one finger registered and even with greasy finger it works better. How is it better?
Touch ID is designed to capture each finger only once. There is a reason why it takes so many variations of the same finger when you set it up. By registering the same fingerprint 5 times you are going to confuse the sensor I think.

FatPuppy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 14, 2012
Sorry, I don't know what you are trying to say :)
I am sorry, I still have to learn more english. So what I am saying is that if I register the same finger 5 times, the touch id is not very responsive but with one finger everything works better. So the question is: is it better to register a finger only once or is it better if I register it 5 times ?

gordon1234

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2010
I am sorry, I still have to learn more english. So what I am saying is that if I register the same finger 5 times, the touch id is not very responsive but with one finger everything works better. So the question is: is it better to register a finger only once or is it better if I register it 5 times ?

Don't register any finger more then once. The sensor is designed to learn and improve and you'll only end up confusing it and making it less reliable by registering the same finger multiple times.

There may be isolated cases where its necessary to register the same finger again. For instance, if you get a cut or a scar on it, or it gets dry and chapped. If this is the case, delete the original finger and register it from scratch. There should be no reason ever to register the same finger multiple times.

Dino F

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2010
Croydon, South London, UK
If you read my post here :

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1845331

...you will see that I complained that my Touch ID was failing to recognize my thumb print, at least once a day. The sole reason for this was that I had done 5 prints for the same thumb (I wrongly assumed that more prints of the same finger would make it more accurate).

Now that I have deleted all 5 prints and just re-scanned ONLY 1 print for my thumb, I am finding that it is working 90% better.

As other posters have suggested - having more than 1 print for the same finger, just confuses the software.

:cool:

crashoverride77

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2014
The new Touch ID sensor in the iPad air 2 and iPhones 6 apparently has a higher DPI count than Touch ID had in the 5s. That's why it seems to work much better, especially with wet hands. Don't bother about registering the same finger multiply times, it's pointless.

localboy28

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2010
I used the 5 slots for my thumb and it works faultlessly
Tried deleting 4 and still works as good

jpcarro

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2009
On your nine
I registered my 2 index fingers and 2 thumbs on my iP6. All fingers work well. I had done this on my iP5s as well.

Although I occasionally have to try a 2nd time, it mostly just works. The iP6 has even less retries than the iP5s.

jhfenton

macrumors 6502a
Dec 11, 2012
Cincinnati, Ohio
I registered my 2 index fingers and 2 thumbs on my iP6. All fingers work well. I had done this on my iP5s as well.
That seems to me the most logical way to manage it. Index fingers for when the phone is on a desk. Thumbs for when I'm holding it. That leaves one finger for my wife (and vice versa on her phone).