General Is Touch ID working better with one finger ?

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by FatPuppy, Feb 11, 2015.

1. FatPuppy, Feb 11, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2015

FatPuppy macrumors 68000

FatPuppy

I mean, I always thought that if I register my right thumb 5 times, touch id will be better but now I have one finger registered and even with greasy finger it works better. How is it better?

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Sorry, I don't know what you are trying to say :)

3. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

Touch ID is designed to capture each finger only once. There is a reason why it takes so many variations of the same finger when you set it up. By registering the same fingerprint 5 times you are going to confuse the sensor I think.

4. FatPuppy thread starter macrumors 68000

FatPuppy

I am sorry, I still have to learn more english. So what I am saying is that if I register the same finger 5 times, the touch id is not very responsive but with one finger everything works better. So the question is: is it better to register a finger only once or is it better if I register it 5 times ?

5. gordon1234 macrumors 6502a

Don't register any finger more then once. The sensor is designed to learn and improve and you'll only end up confusing it and making it less reliable by registering the same finger multiple times.

There may be isolated cases where its necessary to register the same finger again. For instance, if you get a cut or a scar on it, or it gets dry and chapped. If this is the case, delete the original finger and register it from scratch. There should be no reason ever to register the same finger multiple times.

6. w00t951 macrumors 68000

w00t951

I think it will say that finger has already been registered if you try to make a duplicate.

7. Dino F macrumors 68020

Dino F

If you read my post here :

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1845331

...you will see that I complained that my Touch ID was failing to recognize my thumb print, at least once a day. The sole reason for this was that I had done 5 prints for the same thumb (I wrongly assumed that more prints of the same finger would make it more accurate).

Now that I have deleted all 5 prints and just re-scanned ONLY 1 print for my thumb, I am finding that it is working 90% better.

As other posters have suggested - having more than 1 print for the same finger, just confuses the software.

:cool:

8. crashoverride77 macrumors 65816

The new Touch ID sensor in the iPad air 2 and iPhones 6 apparently has a higher DPI count than Touch ID had in the 5s. That's why it seems to work much better, especially with wet hands. Don't bother about registering the same finger multiply times, it's pointless.

9. localboy28 macrumors 6502a

I used the 5 slots for my thumb and it works faultlessly
    Tried deleting 4 and still works as good

10. jpcarro macrumors 6502

jpcarro

I registered my 2 index fingers and 2 thumbs on my iP6. All fingers work well. I had done this on my iP5s as well.

Although I occasionally have to try a 2nd time, it mostly just works. The iP6 has even less retries than the iP5s.

11. jhfenton macrumors 6502a

jhfenton

That seems to me the most logical way to manage it. Index fingers for when the phone is on a desk. Thumbs for when I'm holding it. That leaves one finger for my wife (and vice versa on her phone).

12. jpcarro macrumors 6502

jpcarro

Man, did I read that last part wrong...first time through.

13. FatPuppy thread starter macrumors 68000

FatPuppy

Hehe, you and me both :))

14. jhfenton macrumors 6502a

jhfenton

Um. Yeah. That could have been worded better. :eek: