Is true for an average American?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Gustavo Machado, Feb 2, 2011.

1. Gustavo Machado macrumors newbie

2. Zerozal macrumors 6502

Yeah, the numbers seem pretty reasonable to me. The healthcare costs seem high, but that may be because I have no health-related expenses. So overall, the numbers to seem to be in the ballpark.

3. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Yeah, $500 a month for health care expenses seems a bit high, but I'm sure there are some people that pay that much.

OTOH, I thought the housing costs were low.

4. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

Average individual health insurance runs somewhere around $500/month, family plans $1,100/month. Employers cover varying percentages of that. Sounds reasonably accurate.

5. Biff... macrumors 6502a

Biff...

With that kind of cost, it pays to take care of yourself.

6. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

Yeah, if you, instead of paying the insurance company $500, put that away in a bank, and take care of yourself for 2 years, you will have enough money to pay for almost any medical expenses that can come up.

The problem, of course, is "catastrophic" medical expenses, and a health issue right after another.

It's a gamble - the bets are the opposite between yourself and the insurance company.

7. ender land macrumors 6502a

The best bet (if you are financially able) is to have a relatively large deductible to cover those sorts of situations as this normally results in a lower monthly premium.

8. Melrose Suspended

Melrose

I thought I could do that, but I have a heart problem, and in about ten years is generally when it need substantial surgery. In the meantime, I can't lose coverage or they'll deny me on a pre-existing condition. Ergo, they can bend me over a table as long as they want. Such are insurance companies. :(

They run the whole system on fear.

9. Heilage macrumors 68030

Heilage

That is so friggin unfair. Unacceptable, if you ask me.

10. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Very not cool!