Is Tumi soft sided luggage any good?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by determined09, Sep 20, 2014.

1. determined09 macrumors 65816

determined09

Hello Everyone,

I'm thinking about buying Tumi Alpha @ carrying and 26" medium checked in soft-sided luggage. I was wondering if anyone here has purchased this luggage in the last 3 yrs and how is that piece of luggage holding up over the past few years. The reason why I'm asking this question is because sometimes companies change the way make their items with lesser quality materials. I know that this brand has 5 year warranty. I was just wondering if anyone here has any experience with this brand.

Thank you

2. adk macrumors 68000

adk

My main concern with Tumi is that their bags only have a 5 year warranty. If you're looking to spend that much (and you don't need to, trust me) I'd recommend looking into a bag from Briggs and Riley as they include a lifetime warranty.

3. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Personally, I tend to use Samsonite, who have a ten year warranty.

What luggage you buy to a certain extent, depends on your needs, and how much you travel. I travel a lot, and have always found that it makes my life a lot easier if I have excellent quality luggage; that means luggage that is better balanced, easier to manoeuvre, more sturdily and better constructed, and can take the rough handling that is the daily lot of much luggage in airports.

As I don't use or have Tumi, I cannot offer any observation.

However, I will say that - to my mind at least - it pays to spend proper money on buying good quality luggage. However, some of my Samsonite suitcases have been bought in end-of-season sales, when good reductions are to be had.

4. adk macrumors 68000

adk

The other question you have to ask is how you travel, and how often. If you get to the airport via car and your bag is going to spend most of the time in an overhead bin you don't need super expensive luggage unless you travel weekly. If you're going to be traveling on smaller regional jets where your luggage will be valet checked and placed in the hold, you'll need a higher quality, more durable bag. Taking public transit to the airport is also very hard on a bag, especially if you live in a snowy region. 95% of travelers will be just fine with a Samsonite, Travelpro, or other mid-grade bag.

5. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

I have had the Travelpro Crew 6 22" and 26" rollaboards for several years now. I fly about 50,000 miles per year and they look almost brand new with only a bit of rubbing wear and tear on the corners. They were crazy expensive in my opinion, but I think they've been worth it.

6. FieldingMellish Suspended

I own Travelpro and its proven durable. I also own Tumi, but not for check-in luggage, but for their business use designed cases, some that I've found well appointed for my needs. Tumi that I tired of, or whose design didn't meet my needs that changed, have always sold on eBay. I got a reasonable return each time.

One Tumi that I kept is a rolling pilot case that is so well appointed, it serves multiple roles in carrying photography, tools, samples, clothing, not all at once but in varying degree, as objectives dictated. It's since been dropped from the line and I'd not seen anything remotely similar since. It was also crazy expensive, but presented ongoing utility and value.

7. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

I have been using TUMI softsided luggage for about six years now and have just encountered my first problem. About two inches of stitching has come undone. I have not done anything about repairing it yet but it looks like a fairly easy repair job. I take about five or six trips each year.

8. D.T. macrumors 604

D.T.

Another vote for Travel Pro, they've got a number of carry on options, outstanding rollers, and I believe most of their products are lifetime warranty.

9. sjinsjca macrumors 68000

sjinsjca

I don't have this particular piece, but in general Tumi is extremely good stuff.

10. Ulenspiegel macrumors 68030

Ulenspiegel

+1 for Samsonite. Have been using this brand for decades. Never had a problem.
    My present Laptop case is in use since 2004 and is in mint condition.
    Unfortunately no experience with Tumi, to answer your question.

11. determined09 thread starter macrumors 65816

determined09

Thank you. I'll look at the Samsonite.