Is Uni-MBP getting upgraded to T9900 3.06Ghz soon?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by catdog02481, Jun 2, 2009.

  1. catdog02481 macrumors regular

    catdog02481

    Joined:
    Oct 23, 2003
    Location:
    Boston, MA
    #1
    I am about to pull the trigger on a matte uMBP 17" 2.93 but just saw that Intel introduced a T9900 clocked at 3.06Ghz. Is it better to wait past June 8th or it upgrade too early for the 17"?

    Helpful comments appreciated :D
     
  2. masse macrumors 6502a

    masse

    Joined:
    May 4, 2007
    Location:
    MA/GA
    #2
    honestly for the 17inch i'd buy it now. The bump might not happen, if it does its equal to 0 performance difference.

    No harm in waiting a week though.
     
  3. Theclamshell macrumors 68030

    Joined:
    Mar 2, 2009
    #3
    If it was just released it will prob not be in them but if it was released a while ago and it wont kill you to wait then wait a week
     
  4. dan5.5 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Oct 26, 2008
  5. kockgunner macrumors 68000

    kockgunner

    Joined:
    Sep 24, 2007
    Location:
    Vancouver, Canada
    #5
    I believe the P-series have higher bus speeds and are also more energy efficient.
     
  6. throttlemeister macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Mar 31, 2009
    Location:
    Netherlands
    #6
    P-series are 25W, T-series are 35W. Bus speeds are identical. Fastest P-series is the P9700 @ 2.8GHz. Fastest T-series is the T9900 @ 3.06GHz.
     
  7. barkomatic macrumors 68040

    Joined:
    Aug 8, 2008
    Location:
    Manhattan
    #7
    If there's a feature you're dreaming about then why not wait until that feature is included? If there are no upgrades at WWDC then they should happen not too long afterward. The notebooks are due for upgrades so its not as if you'll have to wait for an extended period of time.

    I really don't understand those that claim there will be no updates for 6 months. At that point, a cheap netbook from Dell will have better specs than a macbook pro.
     
  8. indiecraig macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jan 25, 2008
    #8
    I've noticed that a lot of the people claiming there will be no updates for 6 months have UMBPs. Anybody who looks at the buyer's guide can see that updates are due, so I don't understand why people think they are not.
     
  9. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

    Joined:
    Jul 5, 2008
    Location:
    Thule GL @ the TOW
    #9
    ... a speed bump to existing chips, probably - a new chip that just hit the market, not...
     
  10. masse macrumors 6502a

    masse

    Joined:
    May 4, 2007
    Location:
    MA/GA
    #10
    He's talking about the 17"...

    If a refresh doesn't happen next week and you need to buy it then buy it. If you can wait wait. I waited from December 06, and just purchased in October 08.

    Avoided the SR models even though that was quite the refresh (with LED screen and Nvidia 8600 etc) because I didn't NEED it yet. All in all I notice no performance difference between my friends SR MBP and my Unibody. I do like the new look and trackpad though.

    Waiting years really isn't worth it. But if you are going to, wait until nehalem :). That might actually be worth it.
     
  11. blackhand1001 macrumors 68030

    blackhand1001

    Joined:
    Jan 6, 2009
    #11
    Mobile Nehalam seems a long way off in my opinion. They really need to work on power consumption first. I'd just get whatever comes out next week.
     
  12. catdog02481 thread starter macrumors regular

    catdog02481

    Joined:
    Oct 23, 2003
    Location:
    Boston, MA
    #12
    So you think there will be an upgrade next week for the 17" umbp?
     
  13. Biolizard macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    May 20, 2008
    Location:
    London, United Kingdom
    #13
    Some of us think there will be. Others are adament that it'll be autumn only for the fact that it has been the past 2 years. When did Mac releases ever stick to a timetable?
     
  14. maraca2020 macrumors member

    Joined:
    May 17, 2009
  15. Sneakz macrumors 65816

    Sneakz

    Joined:
    Jul 17, 2008
    Location:
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    #15
    I think they'll be updated at WWDC with the T9900 in the high end as an option. A graphics update to GT 130M would be great as well. If Snow Leopard comes out in September, I think Apple might let those who are buying this summer get Snow Leopard at a discount, if not free. Microsoft is probably going to do the same with the manufacturers when it comes to Windows 7 on October 22nd.
     

Share This Page