Is Unix different from Tiger to Leopard?

Discussion in 'Mac Programming' started by UCONN, Jul 4, 2008.

1. UCONN macrumors newbie

Hi All

First time here - thanks in advance.

Just learning Perl so I'm getting into some scripting on my MacBook running Leopard. I don't have much experience with Unix so I was looking at Mark Sorbell's book "A Practical Guide to Unix for Mac OS X Users." The cover says it's the Tiger edition and there is apparently no Leopard edition. Would this book still be useful to me or are the Tiger/Leopard differences significant enough to make the book irrelevant?

Thanks again.

-dale

2. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

I think Apple added back a few things, upped their support on others, and went out and PAID for the Unix certifications.

The last one was the key, since it gave them the stamp of approval to say the Unix was good enough for govt./enterprise work.

3. italiano40 macrumors 65816

italiano40

i would read it, but there are small difference, they probably just add some commands, to the terminal and changed some commands to make it faster that is it

just adding did you install the perl scripting to the terminal, so you can use perl script in the terminal

4. UCONN thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes I've been running Perl scripts (working through the llama book which assumes some level of Unix familiarity) from the terminal. I'm not sure if you're asking if I installed anything but the answer is no.

5. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Shouldn't need to. Perl is either included with the OS or Xcode (not sure which, as Xcode is the first thing I install).