is unlock on iOS5 possible yet?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by seventysix, Oct 13, 2011.

1. seventysix macrumors newbie

model 3Gs
    version 4.3.1(8G4)
    carrier AT&T 10.0
    model firmware: 05.13.04

I understood that I can do an untethered JB with my device, because of the old bb...

1. If I update to 5, do I need to use a special procedure or I can update from iTunes and then run redsnow?
    2. Is the unlock possible yet with iOS 5 for my phone?

thanks in advance!

2. Dragon M. macrumors newbie

1. You NEED to create a custom firmware with redsn0w to preserve your "Model Firmware" (only available on Mac, use sn0wbreeze if you have Windows). Do NOT just update through iTunes or you may possibly permanently lose ability to unlock.
    2. Not yet. It's said that the update will come today though. I updated to iOS5 early and I'm waiting for ultrasn0w and Mobile Substrate to be updated for iOS5.

You can only do untethered JB with your 3GS if you have an old BOOTROM, not Baseband (BB)/Model Firmware.

3. jck524 macrumors newbie

dragon does that mean that if i upgrade my phone to IOS5 when the unlock comes out i can use any carrier?....like would it be a software unlock where i can then use any carrier? right now i have an ATT lock iphone4 4.3.3 4.10.01 phone that i have been using a GEVEY sim with, but i dont want to use the GEVEY anymore.

4. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

Ultrasn0w will not work with the baseband you have on your phone. For Iphone 4, the only baseband Ultrasn0w will work is 01.59.

5. seventysix thread starter macrumors newbie

bootroom, ok... so 05.13.04 will work, right?
    thanks a lot!

6. jck524 macrumors newbie

do you think there will ever be a software unlock for IOS5 where it will make it so you can use any carrier? i dont want to use my GEVEY anymore

7. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

Yes, Ultrasn0w work with your baseband. Look at my other thread with listing of basebands Ultrasn0w work on them.

8. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

The dev team isn't exactly motivated. They lost their main unlocker and apple has come out with an unlocked phone. If you really need an unlock, perhaps you should consider saving up and investing in an unlocked phone.