Is unlocking and jail breaking the same thing?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Imola Ghost, Apr 1, 2012.

1. Imola Ghost macrumors 65816

I'm wanting to sell that old white 3gs iPhone we have lying around and the guy wants it unlocked. I'm guess that jail breaking it is the same, correct?

2. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

no

you can jailbreak a locked device

to be unlocked, you also need to be jail broke. Unlocked lets you use other carriers

3. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

Read lots of info about base bands.

Utilise utube.

4. Imola Ghost, Apr 1, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2012

Imola Ghost thread starter macrumors 65816

OK, since I've fulfilled my obligation with ATT. I've called ATT and they said they CANNOT unlock, give out the codes or do they even have the capability to unlock any Apple iPhones given they're agreement with Apple.

Shouldn't they unlock it based upon my contract fulfillment with them? I've done my 2 year contract and aren't they legally supposed to unlock it for me if I ask?

Does anyone know how I can unlock this Apple iPhone 3GS version 5.0. modem version 05.16.05?

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

AT&T unlocks any phone but the iPhone. What you're saying makes perfect sense but AT&T will not do it.
    In order to unlock that iPhone you have to install the iPad bb. And that's not a good idea since it comes with many issues.

6. Imola Ghost thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks,

I've got everything I believe to be able to unlock it (Redsnow) and saved my SSH blob to Cydia's server. But what I'm unsure about it how to get a baseband for use on Tmobile. What baseband should I use? This is the part about unlocking I'm unsure about as I've jail broke some iPhones before but not unlocked them.