Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blademan88

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 11, 2007
Hi all,
I'm interested in purchasing an iPhone, but I just visitred the AT&T store and they said you can't do a 1 yr contract, and a 2yr contract is required. I remember reading earlier a lot about people unlocking the iPhone and whatnot. Is that still do'able? Is it risky or could I lose the capability of my phone any day? And most importantly, will it let me use my phone without renewing my contract at all with AT&T?
Thanks a ton,
-Ori

TonyHoyle

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2007
Manchester, UK
Yes it's still possible. As far as risk goes, as long as you wait until the new unlock is available for each firmware revision before upgrading you'll be fine.

blademan88

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 11, 2007
Thank you very much, appreciate this. Can I use the unlock to buy the phone from apple and use my curren Cingular sim card on my iPhone without extending contract?

sparkyms

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2007
Southampton UK
That's the idea :)
If i were you though I'd do a lot of reading on the internet on how to go about doing it, as it doesnt seem like you know how at the moment. Make sure you know what youre doing before you buy the iPhone.

I wouldn't want you to blow (is it $399?) on something that you might break :(

blademan88

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 11, 2007
Excellent, before I start looking for guides and reading em, I was hoping I could get told just one more thing :) Does it work with any iPhone or buy? Or do I need to hope I get a specific version? And lastly, it can be done without opening the iPhone itself regardless of which one it is? Thanks very much to everyone! First time using the forums instead of just reading the side, and you all are super nice so far!

sJv

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2007
Sierra Foothills, CA
I believe only firmware version 1.0.2 can be unlocked for any sim. I would think supplies of iPhones with this version are getting slim. There may be a way to downgrade 1.1.x back to 1.0.2. You'll have to search the forums.

It's a pretty dicey operation if you ask me (and I'm more tech savvy than many). You'll always run the risk of something bad happening. You are messing with tricky baseband firmware that is difficult to recover from. This is different form merely hacking the iphone to add your own apps - that should always be fairly safe and recoverable.

It's not worth the risk - just sign the 2 year plan and be done with it, IMHO..

-steve

Excellent, before I start looking for guides and reading em, I was hoping I could get told just one more thing :) Does it work with any iPhone or buy? Or do I need to hope I get a specific version? And lastly, it can be done without opening the iPhone itself regardless of which one it is? Thanks very much to everyone! First time using the forums instead of just reading the side, and you all are super nice so far!

plickfu

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2007
So you can use an ATT SIM card in an unlocked iPhone? It may seem silly, but if possible, that's one way to keep one's corporate rate plan (and not add yet another two years to an ATT contract) with the iPhone, right? This might change things...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.