is unlocking the future of iphone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by gimmeiphone, Oct 31, 2007.

1. gimmeiphone macrumors 6502

what i mean to say is, if i go ahead and buy the iphone on nov 9th, firmware version aside, and unlock it, obviously in the future unlocking will be allowed and probably pushed by apple, but what about the people who unlocked now? will they ever have a normal iphone or are they destined to keep dodging updates and waiting for it to mess up? or will it be available to all...

2. FunkyJunk macrumors regular

FunkyJunk

Saying that it'll be "obviously allowed" in the future is a bit of a leap, I'd say. As for your question, I don't think you'll find a definitive answer unless you have access to a reliable crystal ball. Sorry.

3. gimmeiphone thread starter macrumors 6502

yeah but all the mobiles iv ever known have become available on pay as u go its just standard here, sayin that, the iphone is not like all other phones but still its all its going to be seen as by many, just a fancy phone

4. sweetice2007 macrumors 6502

i think it will go on pay n go eventually like it has in usa but i think it will only be available on o2 in the UK anyway. ive got an unlocked one and its still running on 1.0.2 - i think even if the uk ones get unlocked and sold on or whatever theres gonna be issues when updating like there is currently with the other unlocked ones. on the other hand france are saying they will sell the phones on contract for the first 6 months and then unlock them...see what happens:rolleyes:

5. Sobe macrumors 68000

Sobe

unlocking a phone carries certain risks.

No one knows how it will all play out.

Maybe it won't matter at all, maybe it will.

The only think you can do is to weigh the evidence available to you now and make your own decision.

6. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

There is no hope of the iPhone becoming unlocked for at least 5 years. Plus apple has a lot of financial incentive not to unlock the phone as well. Once it becomes unlock they will no longer be able to collect a % of the cell bill.

7. gimmeiphone thread starter macrumors 6502

lol in 5 yrs the iphone will be obsolete, i mean iv only had my ipod mini for just over 2 n half yrs and thats practically ancient compared to the recent models, so i really dont think its going to be 5 yrs, and i suppose right now apple has the financial gain from exclusivity as an incentive, but that will only go so far, there are only so many people willing to look past the ridiculous price and commitment for the iphone, then apple will have no choice but to appeal to the wider market by unlocking them, either that or alot of iphones are going to be gathering alot of dust. none of my friends or family are getting one until they sort the prices and tarriffs out, apple just isnt as big in this country

8. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

Nice thought but wrong. The iPhone will be sold unlocked in France due to local laws. Price has yet to be announced, but it's coming. There's also regulations in the UK that may force Apple to follow suit there....