Is update to 4.2 possible for jailbroken iPad?

Discussion in 'iPad Hacks' started by linnm, Jan 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. linnm macrumors newbie

Months ago I wanted to download some apps without having to pay for them, so my friend jailbroke my iPad for me (which was in v3.2.2). he didn't get to explain how he did it or how jailbreaking works so am a complete fool about it.

I found out there is the new version right now so I was wondering if I can update my iPad to 4.2? or will that erase the jailbreak or make my downloaded hacked apps unusable?

would appreciate any help :)
    thanks in advance.

2. mudslag macrumors regular

mudslag

piracy is a no no on these forums...go else where and learn to use google

3. linnm thread starter macrumors newbie

wow, how admiring. you should tell macrumours.com to remove iPad Hacks forum category.

4. mudslag macrumors regular

mudslag

I guess you havent figured out that hacks dont mean "piracy" :rolleyes:

5. linnm thread starter macrumors newbie

yea.. am not gonna get into this. go rock the boat on other threats that aren't congruent with your principles. am here for info, not to attack people or fight them.

6. Sbrit06 macrumors newbie

sum ppl like mudslag needs to get a LIFE
    y the **** would most ppl hack ipad if not for downloading free apps!???

7. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I jailbreak for SBSettings, Activator, InfiniDock, FolderEnhancer, and other such system mods that make the iPad easier to use.

But regardless of what you think people do with their jailbroken iPads, it is clearly against the rules of MacRumors Forum to help people with obtaining cracked apps. See #6 under "Things not to do." http://guides.macrumors.com/Help:Forum_Rules#Things_Not_to_Do

To answer the parts of the OP that can be answered, yes, you can update to the latest firmware. Connect iPad to computer, start iTunes, click on iPad icon, click "update" in the left-hand panel.

This will unjailbreak your iPad, causing your iPad to lose all your jailbreak-related functions. To get them back, you will have to jailbreak your iPad again, and reinstall all apps you installed with Cydia. All the regular apps you installed with iTunes should stay in place with their data interact. Just in case, backup your iPad before you click update. I can't help you with what happens to the apps you installed with Installous, I believe there are forums dedicated to Installous for that.

8. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

I am sorry but Hack /= Cracked/Stolen apps.

Discussing about this is against forums rules, you are free to do whatever you want with your iDevice, but you are on your own for anything that involve stealing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.