Is upgrade to iLife 11 worth it?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Spike88, Oct 23, 2010.

1. Spike88 macrumors 6502a

My family bought a mid-2010 iMac 21.5". Being our 1st Mac, we're still learning it. My son has "toyed" with Garage band a few times. My wife wants to learn iPhoto but hasn't found the spare time. But will soon - once our disabled kid goes back to school. Have't tried iMove yet. Don't think we will...

With above in mind, is the upgrade to iLife 11 (for upgrades to iMovie, iPhoto and Garageband) worth it? Is the updates in iPhoto and Garageband with the $50 cost? Or, is using current version (that came with my iMac) "good enough" for our usage?

thanks.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Sounds like you don't even use it. Why would you pay to upgrade something you don't use?

3. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

I would try the apps more before upgrading them. There is a good chance that iLife '09 is sufficient for you. Or maybe your family doesn't find iPhoto and GB good so they would like to get 3rd party software instead.

4. firstapple macrumors 6502a

firstapple

I think it has some interesting new features. Most notably:

iPhoto
    Better/easier way to create photobooks (if this is something you do)
    Creating letterpress cards in iPhoto (will be nice for Christmas time, BDays, etc)
    Emailing photos inside iPhoto
    Better Social Network interaction with photos

I have never been a huge user of iMovie or GarageBand so I can't speak much to those

I suggest going here and watching the videos to see if any of these things are relevant to you: Apple iLife Video Showcase

5. Sheza macrumors 65816

Sheza

If you're a heavy user of iLife then the new version is definitely worth it.

If you're not really into making music or videos, then it's probably not worth it unless you have the cash to spare. Which a lot of Mac owners usually do...

6. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

If you're really only interested in iPhoto '11 then I'd wait. According to the Back to Mac event it looks like Apple may start selling the iLife apps separately as they're shown in the Mac App Store for ~$14.95 each. If you can wait till January when the Mac App Store hits Snow Leopard then I'd wait.

7. 87vert macrumors 6502

87vert

I really like the new iMovie, I never used it with the old version but now I'm created trailers left and right. LOL