Is upgrade to new MacBook possible???

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mohsy90, Feb 19, 2011.

1. mohsy90 macrumors 65816

mohsy90

eff me!!! :(

I just bought a 13" MacBook Pro on January 29th, and seeing its out of the 14 day return policy, i probably wont be able to exchange or upgrade to the new model coming out Thursday.

Does anyone know if apple allows you to upgrade? I called and they said it needs to be within the 14 day return period, but they did say to call back whenever it becomes available so they can give me a definitive answer. Apparently most of the apple employees are clueless and have no idea that a refresh is coming for this Thursday, and they just kept denying the fact that there might be one coming out each time i mentioned it.

2. Gofre macrumors regular

I'm wondering the same thing (Bought mine mid Jan too). I've never seen Apple do anything like this for any of their other computers upon refresh, the closest thing we can do is "selling" it back via their environmental scheme, which offers a rather pathetic value (£376 GBP for a perfect condition MBP in comparison to the £1020 RRP).

Hopefully they will do something to accommodate recent buyers, although I doubt it. Either way I'm still happy with my pro [=

3. jbrenn macrumors 6502a

I really doubt they will let you upgrade.

4. puttputt macrumors regular

doubtful. and they shouldn't.

An impending new model has been widely anticipated for at least 3 months.

If you needed a new Mac on Jan. 29, then fine.

If you could have waited 1-3 months, then it was up to you to research the "rumors" and wait.

Either way, Apple didn't force you to buy on Jan. 29 and is under no obligation to give you an upgrade. Live with your decision. You have a great computer and nothing to complain about.

5. SuperCachetes macrumors 6502a

SuperCachetes

You'd be much better off selling it to a private party, hopefully another person who hasn't watched any of the rumors or read the Buyer's Guide. ;)

Yep.

6. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

I doubt it. If I were you, id sell on craigslist now and but the refresh. Then next time you in the market for a mbp, check the rumors :p

7. Kildeer macrumors member

Exactly, they shouldn't. If everyone who bought one a short time before a new release wanted a new model, it would just be hassle for Apple and they'd end up with stocks of the old model. There has to be a limit, hence the 14 day policy.

I wouldn't be sad about having the current model as it's a really good computer it seems. :)

8. vastoholic macrumors 68000

vastoholic

Just wanted to figure out how returns actually worked. I bought one on the 14th of this month because I needed it now and was under the impression that the updates wouldn't be out until after I left this current duty station and had the opportunity to pick one up. If in fact the updates are released tomorrow (I purchased the baseline 13" MBP) how does the return work? Can I just go into the same store I bought it from and return it for an in store credit and get the new one or will it have to go back on my debit card? Will the original sales tax be refunded as well and applied to the new purchase?

This is all assuming the price stays the same. If it increases, I probably won't return it (depending on how much it is). I also have a digital receipt, will that cause any problems with the process? I'm actually looking forward to the new processor as iTunes just seems very bogged down by movies (non HD movies at that) when I exit out of full screen mode. I don't remember having these problems with my 2008 15" 2.4GHz (non-unibody).

9. snaky69 macrumors 603

No. Either you sell it and suck up the loss or you could remain happy because your machine hasn't instantly become obsolete once the new ones come out.

Typed from a 3 year old 2008 pre-unibody macbook pro.

10. Pballer110 macrumors 6502

if you paid with an american express card you can call up amex and they let you return products no matter what the store policy within 30 days.

11. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

I got mine for Christmas ... you think Santa would help me out with a trade-in?

12. vastoholic macrumors 68000

vastoholic

I don't think any of those answered my question. I'm in 14 day return window and will be until the end of the month.

13. torbjoern macrumors 65816

torbjoern

Why do you want the newest MBP 13" so much? And why on earth did you buy the 2010 model if you wanted the 2011 model? Be happy for what you have.