Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

starmagic

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 17, 2006
I have a 12" powerbook that I have loved! It needs a new keyboard, new battery, and more RAM. soooo, I am going to get a used/refurb macbook - (I want the firewire). If the one I get has only 160 GB HD, can I myself, a handy yet untrained person, put in a bigger HD? Would I be replacing the HD, or adding more?
thanks,
Star

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
Yes, you can do it. The 12" PB would be a pain to swap drives in, but the Macbook is easy. You just want to make sure you have a small (#0 or #00) Philips head screwdriver.

And you'll be swapping drives, not adding an additional one. :)

starmagic

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 17, 2006
Yes, you can do it. The 12" PB would be a pain to swap drives in, but the Macbook is easy. You just want to make sure you have a small (#0 or #00) Philips head screwdriver.

And you'll be swapping drives, not adding an additional one. :)

Great - that is what it looked like from reading around here. It'll be easier to do this before starting to use it, I'd think. Any strong recommendations for brands, or just look over in buyers guide...?

Thanks!

NewMacbookPlz

macrumors 68040
Sep 28, 2008
Getting the HD out of a Powerbook, in my experience, was almost a 1 hour chore the first time. Mind you, I needed to reassemble it, so I was being very careful. http://www.ifixit.com has a nice disassembly guide.

You can get a guide for the macbook at the same place, just select the appropriate model.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
I've had cheap drives last forever, and "server class" ones crap out quickly, so you can never be sure. I'd check reviews to see what's good now, as that changes frequently.

I highly recommend having a Time Machine backup drive for any laptop user. I've had four (!) laptop drives fail on various laptops of mine over the past two years. No damage to the laptops, mind you. But failed drives. Of course, to me, that suggests you not buy the model Apple was using. ;)

starmagic

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 17, 2006
I've had cheap drives last forever, and "server class" ones crap out quickly, so you can never be sure. I'd check reviews to see what's good now, as that changes frequently.

I highly recommend having a Time Machine backup drive for any laptop user. I've had four (!) laptop drives fail on various laptops of mine over the past two years. No damage to the laptops, mind you. But failed drives. Of course, to me, that suggests you not buy the model Apple was using. ;)

Well, yes, of course I have Time Machine! And I have been perusing ifixit, so thanks to that other guy, too!!

Y'all know of a place where Mac owners sell to each other....?

CrzyCanuck72

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2003
Like mentioned, it's a very easy procedure. You also need a Torx T8 screwdriver, in addition to the small Phillips head. I just bought an electronics screwdriver kit at Radio Shack and it had everything I needed.

GfulDedFan

macrumors 65816
Oct 17, 2007
Indiana
Whether or not upgrading a MacBook's hard drive is easy or not is all relative. I feel that it's very easy but others might have trouble. One essential element is the proper tools which have been mentioned in this discussion already.

The first time that I upgraded, I used This Tutorial and I had no problems at all. Since that time I've modified my technique by using a method as follows:

1) Purchase new drive and an enclosure
2) Put the new drive into the enclosure and make a bootable cloned backup to it
3) Switch the drives

I find that This is a good site to shop for a new drive. Others like ebay and amazon.

Hope this all helps -GDF

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.