Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TazmoStarkana

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 12, 2016
My laptop is running OS X Lion. I want to upgrade to Sierra as a fresh OS install. Skipping the versions inbetween.

How would I go about doing this?

When I reboot holding CMD+R I only see the option to reinstall Lion.

Any instructions on how to go about this would be MUCH appreciated.

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
You can download Sierra, then mount it to a bootable USB and boot from that to wipe the drive clean and do a fresh install. Sierra will download to the Applications folder and will be called something synonymous with "Install macOS Sierra". You can make a bootable USB by reviewing the instructions here: http://lifehacker.com/how-to-make-a-bootable-macos-sierra-usb-flash-drive-1786853248

Alternatively you can update directly to Sierra within OS X, then hold CMD+R to do a fresh install following the installation, as the Sierra update will also update the Recovery partition.

Reactions: Weaselboy

TazmoStarkana

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 12, 2016
When I do
You can download Sierra, then mount it to a bootable USB and boot from that to wipe the drive clean and do a fresh install. Sierra will download to the Applications folder and will be called something synonymous with "Install macOS Sierra". You can make a bootable USB by reviewing the instructions here: http://lifehacker.com/how-to-make-a-bootable-macos-sierra-usb-flash-drive-1786853248

Alternatively you can update directly to Sierra within OS X, then hold CMD+R to do a fresh install following the installation, as the Sierra update will also update the Recovery partition.
When I do download the installer and put it on a USB drive and select it from the boot options after rebooting, will it go directly into installer mode? If so will it erase all data on the disk and start fresh? Or do I have to do a CMD+R, select disk utility to clean Macintosh HD, and then reboot again but this time from the USB to start the fresh install

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
When I do download the installer and put it on a USB drive and select it from the boot options after rebooting, will it go directly into installer mode? If so will it erase all data on the disk and start fresh? Or do I have to do a CMD+R, select disk utility to clean Macintosh HD, and then reboot again but this time from the USB to start the fresh install

Nope... close though. :)

Once you make the USB key, you would hold the option key then select it as the boot source. Then you will see the recovery screen. Then use Disk Util to erase the internal drive and install the OS.

Reactions: keysofanxiety
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.