Is upgrading my 2nd gen macbook pro really worth it?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Alovesey, May 24, 2009.

1. Alovesey macrumors newbie

Hi all,

I have a 2nd gen 15" (2.16 core2duo) MacBook pro and was thinking about upgrading to the new unibody mbp.

Will I see much difference in performance compared to my current mbp?
    I use the machine mainly for designing, CS4 usage etc and also some logic pro work.

Anyone think it's a good time to upgrade my laptop?

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Core 2 hasn't changed much in the past 3 years in terms of performance unless you add more cores.

Is time more money? I'd get a newer laptop. Otherwise you have a fine machine.

3. Alovesey thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks. I've got 2gb of Ram in the machine, but I think it only takes 3gb to max it. Do you think the screen would be better for PS work on the newer models?

4. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...max out the RAM and wait, there's not enough of a change for you to spend that extra $$ just yet...maybe a larger/faster internal HDD also...

5. nutritious macrumors 6502

Nope...not worth it. Throw in a SSD in it if you can, and it'll feel like you just bought a new computer...

6. JCastro macrumors 6502a

I wouldn't advise changing either. If it is so slow that it is slowing down your productivity then make a change. You shouldn't be feeling that with what you have though. Max the RAM and put in a 7200rpm HHD and it will feel a lot quicker. SSD's are still too expensive for what you would gain.

7. nutritious macrumors 6502

I bought an SSD for my main PC and thought it was worth every penny. This is coming from someone who had a velociraptor...

8. Alovesey thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, I was thinking of installing a 7,200 drive, it'll give me a lot more disk space too. Have just been googling the prices of the SSDs and although they look very tempting they are just too expensive. Getting a decent sized one is almost half the price of a new MBP.

Has anyone here swapped out their drives? Is it a particularly daunting refit?

9. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

It is not trivial. But as long as you follow the instructions and keep track of the screws, those with a little technical aptitude should not find it too hard.

10. yetanotherdave macrumors 68000

yetanotherdave

If you can wait till q1 2010 the new core architecture will be out which will offer a substantial performance increase over core2duo. In the meantime, buy some more ram, it's cheap.

11. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

Put 4 gigs and a seagate 7200 rpm in my 2.33, and it feels like a new machine.

Yes, I know I can't use all of the ram, but ddr 2 is so cheap right now, it doesn't make sense to not do it.

12. JCastro macrumors 6502a

I was not saying that he would not see a difference. I just don't think that for the average user the advantages outweigh the cost difference. A 7200 RPM HDD will give enough of a boost at minimal cost. I am glad it was worth it for you though.

A friend of mine has two SSD's in his PC Laptop and loves it. We travel a lot and he wanted the SSD's because his HDD's were getting banged around a lot while in transit. I would love to have an SSD but I would need about 500GB and that would cost a fortune right now. A year from now maybe it will more affordable.

13. Thiol macrumors 6502a

Thiol

Side by side, I do notice a difference in screen quality between the LED backlight MBPs and the older non-LED displays. That being said, I only notice the difference when they are placed side by side.

I would max RAM and maybe get an SSD depending on your capacity requirements.