is USB C charging cable different?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by lsh, Nov 2, 2016.

1. lsh macrumors 6502

Is a USB C 'charging cable' different than any other USB C cable? Can I use a third party (sturdier) cable to charge my new MBP on order? I see the MBP charger accessory does NOT come with the cable.
    Again, needing to know more about cables than I ever needed (or wanted) to know before. It probably seems more complex than it really is.

2. therealseebs macrumors 65816

therealseebs

I am also curious. I am especially curious about wattage; nearly everyone seems to have decided that 60W is what USB-C does, so if you use a random cable with an 85W MBP charger, will it still work?

3. 5iMacs macrumors regular

I think it's risky, the MBP charging cable is beefy so unless you know the cable is rated for 85W it (the cable) could melt.

4. Brookzy macrumors 68040

Brookzy

• The USB-C specification is 100W; any compliant USB-C-to-USB-C cable will support up to 100W
    • The MacBook Pro comes with an Apple USB-C Charge Cable in the box, however if you buy another power brick separately it does not come with another cable
    • The Apple USB-C Charge Cable is called the charge cable because it isn't designed for data - it only supports up to USB 2 speeds. It does support 100W though as per the USB-C specification

5. 5iMacs macrumors regular

There are a lot of miscellaneous USB-C to USB-C cables on Amazon that are only rated for 12-15W, so I think one should still be careful.

6. Brookzy macrumors 68040

Brookzy

Definitely. Such cables are not compliant.

The USB-C market seems to be a total mess. Even respected firms are putting out dangerous cables.

7. Marshall73 macrumors 6502a

Marshall73

8. lsh thread starter macrumors 6502

So if it says supports 60w, move on? It seems most say that. Although even the Apple one says that on amazon. This is not easy.

9. Macalway, Nov 2, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2016

Macalway macrumors 68000

I'm not sure, and i've been using these for months and months. So complicated.

What a mess. I hate wires to begins with, now this? :D

I THINK there's power cables and (data/power cables?), that look exactly the same, of course, so you can't figure out which one is which. This is one of the benefits of the new system. :D

So in effect, although it's simpler to have a single port, this is counterbalance by the plethora of cables and adapters that now adorn your desk

10. Brookzy macrumors 68040

Brookzy

If you are looking for a USB-C cable, I would advise the white Belkin one sold for £19.95 on Apple's website. That will definitely be compliant. Not cheap, but it saves getting something that will fry your laptop.

11. brynsmith23 macrumors regular

it'll be interesting to see how many people start using cheap cables and it ends up stuffing their Macbook Pros.

I tried to save myself money buying a new 85W magsafe charger on eBay and it turned out to be a fake, i got zapped a few times before i threw it away.

Lucky it didn't fry my Macbook Pro.

Since then, I'm prepared to pay a little more on the overpriced Apple cables in store.

12. fxbeta macrumors member

fxbeta

Wait a sec... the USB-C charger accessory you purchase from Apple doesn't come with a USB-C cable? WTF?

13. Brookzy macrumors 68040

Brookzy

This is correct.

99% of the time I don't join the bandwagon that lambasts Apple all day, but £79 for a power adapter without a cable is just disgusting.

It will drive people to buy fakes, unwittingly endangering themselves, their families, and their property, just so Apple can scrape a few more bucks.

14. JTToft, Nov 2, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2016

JTToft macrumors 68040

- It seems that one is for data rather than charging. It mentions 3A charging. I would think that means 15W (5V) rather than 100 W (which I believe is 20V 5A).

15. jerryk macrumors 68020

This looks like the official charge cable. Says you can "pair" (is this wine?) with your charger.

Apple recommends pairing MacBook with USB-C port with the 29W USB-C Power Adapter, 13-inch MacBook Pro with Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) ports with the 61W USB-C Power Adapter, and 15-inch MacBook Pro with Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) ports with the 87W USB-C Power Adapter.

Hard to believe they do not throw one in the box. At least they seem to have them in all the Apple stores.

http://www.apple.com/shop/product/M...57ad9b9dd3d02a16113f00785847bdb15ef62b446b7b9

16. Brookzy macrumors 68040

Brookzy

Grr. The 13" MacBook Pro charges at 20.3V, 3A so it would be okay for that at least.

It is certainly my understanding though that any USB-C compliant cable should support up to 100W. I'm sure that Belkin cable will.

EDIT: The description on the Apple site recommends it for charging the new MacBook Pro. I'm sure they would've caveated it with 'except 15"' if it was truly limited to 3A. (The 15" charges at 20.2V, 4.3A).
    --- Post Merged, Nov 2, 2016 ---
    You're 100% correct but I believe OP was asking if they could use a different cable to this.

17. JTToft macrumors 68040

- Yeah, I guess you're right. Odd that they're writing 3A, though.

18. brynsmith23 macrumors regular

Isn't it the power cable to the charger not included with the new Macbook Pro.

The USB C cable would be included, i thought it was just the "Country Specific" power socket cable that wasn't shipping.

19. chabig macrumors 68040

If you need to buy a replacement charger, why should you need to pay for another cable too? Chances are your original cable is still fine.

20. Brookzy macrumors 68040

Brookzy

That's correct. In the box is:
    • 2m USB-C Charge Cable
    • 61W (13") or 87W (15") power adapter
    • A region-specific "duckhead" (see image)
    [​IMG]
    What is not included, but normally is, is the duckhead extension cable:

[​IMG]
    --- Post Merged, Nov 2, 2016 ---
    Well then they should make it $20 cheaper - right now they're priced the same as their MagSafe counterparts that include the (affixed) cable.

21. lsh thread starter macrumors 6502

I usually keep one charger where I normally use my mac. I keep another one in my bag for use away. So I'd want the full assembly.

I think I have a couple of these to use with an early iPad but never bothered. Any reason they won't work with the 87w power adapter? The description says: "Use it with MagSafe and MagSafe 2 power adapters and 10W, 12W, and 29W USB power adapters." But it's just a power cable, so I it should work for all, right?

22. Brookzy macrumors 68040

Brookzy

Yep it will work with all of them, the site just hasn't been updated yet.

23. lsh thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks.
    Now I'm curious about the size of the power adapter. If it's the size and weight of the Mag2, wouldn't it need lots of space in the outlet? Is it too heavy for a wall outlet?

I'll buy the USB C 'power cable" from Apple since I don't want to be the one to fry a new Mac on an experiment.

24. cmaier macrumors G3

wall adapter for the 15" is the same size as the old 15" power adapter. Feels heavier, too. (I bought a few).