Is using an iphone 3G as an Touch Possible?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by cfs123, Aug 13, 2010.

1. cfs123 macrumors regular

Hello Forum,

I searched this site for an answer but came up empty. I also googled it but only got info for first generation iphone.

Just wondering, if my friend upgrades his iphone 3G to a 4, is it possible to use the deactivated 3G as an ipod Touch?

Thanks,

cfs123

2. Irish Rose macrumors 65816

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A400 Safari/6531.22.7)

Sure it is. I still use my 3GS with WiFi during the times that I don't want/need to use my iP4.

3. spblat macrumors 6502a

spblat

If it won't work and complains of a missing SIM card, slip a working SIM in there long enough to activate it (but not the microSIM from his 4), then pop it out and enjoy it as a touch. Or jailbreak to bypass the SIM activation requirement.

4. cfs123 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the reply.

5. cfs123 thread starter macrumors regular

Ha! Thanks for the link. What a useful tool.

And thanks for posting the link as opposed to scolding me. I have been reading these threads for years and in the past year have noticed some members attacking OPs assuming there was no effort on the OP to seek an answer themselves. I thought this question would get a few of those, so thanks again.

6. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

Thanks for maturely accepting the tip. :)