Is using someone else's User name and Password Illegal?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by ouimetnick, Jan 15, 2010.

1. ouimetnick macrumors 68020

ouimetnick

So my neighbor (10 years old) guessed the password to my AIm account, and from there, he posted nasty stuff, and I have it set to post it on Facebook. So thats very embarrassing.:eek: He said :eek:"I like big dicks... I am so ****ing horny when i see justin bieber. I am sooo bi-sexual.":eek: Yup, that came from a TEN YEAR OLD. I'm 14 and strait. So everybody on AIM, and facebook saw that. In addition, he also sent a text massage to everybody in my AIM account, or even google account, saying similar big boy stuff. Now a similar thing happened in August 2009, So I changed my facebook password, gmail password, and other passwords. But I forgot about AIM. I also forgot, I had facebook set up through Aim's lifefeed thingy. So I reported it to the Police:rolleyes:. But my mail question is Is using someone else's username and their password, w/o their permission illegal? The Police said it was wrong, but not illegal. They don't specialize it the internet world. But maybe the cop was wrong? I really don't know, but I think it should be illegal. I put quit a bit of stress on me this afternoon. But MacRumors, helps relieve it.:)
    Let me know what you think:apple:
    -ouimetnick

2. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Maybe you should create a better password. Can't blame anybody else but yourself.

3. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

QFT. If you get pwned by a 10 year old, then your password must've sucked pretty hard. Or you're not securing a WiFi connection and he sniffed it out with a packet sniffer.

Is it illegal? Possibly. Do the cops have better things to do with their time than deal with a 10 year old "hacking" into a 14 year old's AIM account? Definitely.

Sorry, but when cops prosecute for using someone else's username and password, it's because someone used it to get into someone's bank account and steal money or something like that, not when someone changes a facebook status to "I'm gay!"

4. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

It also isn't hacking if you guess a password. Doesn't make it right but I'm sure he didn't use any tools but a lucky guess.

5. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

You're not making it very difficult when you post personal details on a public forum, either. More so than strong passwords, a wee bit of discretion online is a fair bit of security in and of itself.

There are various statutes regarding unauthorized access to computer systems (which is broad territory), but as has been said, the local PD really won't care too much about something like this until there are substantial damages. Even then, it's more civil than criminal.

6. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

True. I think there's a law regarding unauthorized access of a computer account which technically this would fall under but no law enforcement officer is going to waste their time on this case.

7. yojitani macrumors 68000

yojitani

Well, it is hacking, but that's not the point.

First, if my 9 almost 10 year old wrote stuff like that, even for a joke, I'd take him to the cleaners so talking to his parents might be something you should do. I wouldn't hold it against the messenger.

Second, use your keychain to come up with a password for you. You can also store the password in your keychain AND password protect your keychain. If a 10 y.o. kid can hack your info then your password isn't strong enough.

8. Queso macrumors G4

I have it on good authority that he's both navigable and regularly connects two larger wet bodies :D

9. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Toughen up.

Rather than expecting the police to shield you from all the inconveniences that may happen to you in your lifetime, why don't you take some responsibility and come up with a decent password. Your password was really s***, and you go to the police and complain that a 10 year old outsmarted you?

You have nobody to blame but yourself for not caring enough about your private info to come up with a decent password.

10. King Mook Mook macrumors 6502

That seems annoying and this is coming from another fourteen year old but I mean he's only ten and your friends (if they are your friends) will just laugh it off. It's not such a big deal. I mean don't you think that reporting him (a ten year old) to the police is going a bit too far. And what do you want the police to do? Arrest him, lock him away and throw away the key? Build a bridge and get over it. If this is the worst thing to happen to you in your life than you are a very lucky guy. And if you really are concerned tell the boy's parents and hopefully they will do something about it. This isn't such a big deal.

King Mook Mook

Edit: Guessing someone password isn't illegal anyway (legal grey area at worst). And even if it was, do you really think a jury would prosecute a ten year old boy for guessing your Facebook password?!?!

11. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Who isn't?

12. ouimetnick thread starter macrumors 68020

ouimetnick

I did change my password on facebook, and everything else back in August 2009. I just forgot that i didn't change my password on aim, and I don't use it that much. But he also sent a message to all my aim contacts phone with other stuff. What bites me here, is that a TEN YEAR OLD 5th grader uses this language. I did change my AIm password. I just hit random keys on my keyboard, and made up a completely random password. It doesn't even spell anything.

13. ouimetnick thread starter macrumors 68020

ouimetnick

I did secure my network last night. Before my pc wouldn't connect to a secured network, but my new one does. Cisco's network magic showed a computer from his connected to my router downloading a torrent on Windows 7 Ultimate. So that explains why my network was so slow.

14. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

You can make a shiv out of anything.

ANYTHING.

15. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

That also explains how he got your password. A packet sniffer.

No offense, but you were asking for it by using an unsecured network.

16. ouimetnick thread starter macrumors 68020

ouimetnick

I just can't believe how a 10 year old has no life, but to cause problems for others, an his lazy parents don't do anything about it. He invades my privacy, makes crap up causing major embarrassment, and stress, and saying things thjat are false.

17. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Kids will be kids!
    I guess what used to be dropping bricks onto motorways has been replaced by hacking.

18. andalusia macrumors 68030

andalusia

And it's better this way.

OP, you got fraped. Change your password, and get over it.