is using WPA2 vs WPA slow down the wireless network?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Benz63amg, Nov 1, 2012.

1. Benz63amg macrumors 68000

Benz63amg

i have an airport extreme, is using WPA2 slow down the wireless speed and range compared to WPA?

2. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

No, the different encryption will not slow anything down.

3. Benz63amg thread starter macrumors 68000

Benz63amg

what could be the reason that the iphone's wifi bar drops to 2 when i get about 30 ft away from the airport extreme?

i have all settings to AUTO (radio mode and channel selections)

the encription is WPA2,

Does it matter how many Digits my WPA2 password have on the wireless network performance?

4. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

If the signal is dropping off, there is some kind of interference or problem with the antenna. Your encryption settings are irrelevant. Are you set up using wireless N or G?

5. Benz63amg thread starter macrumors 68000

Benz63amg

Wireless N. the signal is not dropping off, on my iphone the WIFI bar drops to 2 Bars instead of 3.

It cant be a problem with the antenna as the same thing happened with the AIRPORT EXPRESS, and i thought that the Airport Express was weak, so i returned it and got the Extreme and it has the same range, they were telling me how the extreme has better range so i bought the extreme.

i mean it can be interefence as im in a building..

6. Che Castro macrumors 603

My iphone 5 is the same always has 4 bars not 5

But the ipad has 5 full bars all the time

I get about 30-40mb download speeds on my iphone 5 using the speedtest app

So as long as your getting fast speeds , I just let it go

AirPort Extreme

7. Benz63amg thread starter macrumors 68000

Benz63amg

what do you mean 4 bars out of 5? there are only 3 bars for the WIFI meter, i have 3 bars most of the time but as i move away from the airport extreme it drops to 2 bars.. the speed using speedtest is around 17mb download speed with 2 bars on WIFI, i just dont get why it drops to 2 bars and not stay on 3 bars when im only 30 ft away..

what Security settings do you use? i have a 12key password for wifi, could that be the problem that my pass is too long? like i said i have all the settings on the extreme on auto(auto radio mode,and auto channel selection for both 2.4ghz and 5.ghz mode)

8. Che Castro macrumors 603

4 wifi bars on the iPhone

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1351822298.261543.jpg

I was getting the cellular connection confused with wifi

9. Benz63amg thread starter macrumors 68000

Benz63amg

the bars are the WHITE bands, how are u counting it 4? i see only 3 bars for the WIFI Meter, not the Cellular reception meter

10. ttate90303 macrumors regular

OP: Do a quick check of how many other signals are in your building. If you set up your AirPort with the default settings, then you're probably on channels similar to other access points in the building. Try changing the channels on your to minimize/eliminate interference. I live in a building where the majority of the users were on channel 6. I moved my channels higher than the defaults and it was smooth sailing. Good luck.

11. Benz63amg thread starter macrumors 68000

Benz63amg

did u specify the channels on your airport extreme for the 2.4ghz band or 5ghz band or both? because from what i understand my iphone 5 connects in 5GHZ Mode as it supports that.. i checked with istumbler what channel the airport extreme broadcasts on for the 5ghz mode and its 149, is that the channel that transmits maximum power for 5ghz?

whats the best way to check what router channel neighbors are using? whats the best free app for mac?

12. ttate90303, Nov 1, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2012

ttate90303 macrumors regular

Yes, I set up my Airport by specifying the channels for both N and G. Here's a great article on an easy tool to check the channels and interference - and the tool is right there buried in OS X Mountain Lion: http://osxdaily.com/2012/07/31/wi-fi-scanner-mac-os-x-mountain-lion/

And it's not a matter of power - it's signal interference. If you move to an less occupied channel then you'll get the throughput you're expecting. There are still other factors - walls, water, metal. But getting things on anther channel. When I set up my network (pre-Mountain Lion) and using the older Airport Utility, using the Option button allowed me to choose my channels via the dropdown menu options.

As an example for the 5GHz setting I used channel 3 for 2.4GHz and 161 for 5GHz. And for Radio Mode is used 802.11n only (5GHz) - 802.11b/g/n