Is Verizon iPhone 6 The Same As T-Mobile iPhone 6?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ghsNick, Jul 31, 2015.

1. ghsNick macrumors 68020

ghsNick

Hi Guys!

So I'm switching from Verizon to T-Mobile. I'm on a family plan and will be saving $100 a month and get an additional 30GB per month.

I went into T-Mobile and explained that I will be trading in a flip phone and buying their cheapest phone so they'll pay our ETF from Verizon. The guy said that's fine and they'll activate the cheap phone I buy and port my number over.

I then mentioned that I have an iPhone 6 on Verizon and I'd like to have everything ported over to it after they give me my flip phone. He said that was ok BUT there would be a few minor differences.

He mentioned that Verizon's iPhone 6 is different from T-Mobile's (the antennas inside) and I could have some minor issues on 4G LTE or when sending picture messages. He recommended I trade in my iPhone 6 and buy one from them if I didn't want to have any issues.

I understand he was trying to sell a phone but I'm pretty certain the Verizon iPhone 6 is the same as T-Mobile's iPhone 6. Can anyone confirm this?

I'd like to pull the trigger but I want to make sure I have everything squared away and don't run into any issues.

Thanks!

2. Samanosuke macrumors 6502

What he said was ********. Currently using a Verizon iPhone 6 on T-Mobile with 0 issues. He's just trying to make a sale.

Change your plan. Put your sim in your Verizon phone, call it a day.

3. C DM macrumors Westmere

Both Verizon and T-Mobile use the same iPhone 6 (and iPhone 6 Plus) model, so there's definitely nothing different as far as hardware.

4. ghsNick thread starter macrumors 68020

ghsNick

Thanks man! I figured but wanted to double check with some handy folks on MacRumors.

Have you noticed any major differences? Obviously afraid with coverage but I live in the Tampa Bay area and it looks like there's 4G LTE everywhere (according to their maps).

5. Eau Rouge macrumors regular

Why don't you do the Test Drive thing with a loaner phone? Use it for a week and see if the service is acceptable for you.

6. ghsNick thread starter macrumors 68020

ghsNick

Wait - does this also apply to the iPhone 5S?

My sister and brother in law want to join but they have a Verizon 5S.

7. ghsNick thread starter macrumors 68020

ghsNick

Just signed up for it!

My only question is would you login to your Apple ID? I'm not sure how comfortable I feel logging in with my Apple ID on a loaner device. I can always go ahead and use it without the Apple ID - I just thought I'd ask!

8. Eau Rouge macrumors regular

You have to wipe the phone in order to return it anyway, so you should be fine. Change your password for peace of mind, if you like. Or you create a dummy id but that's a hassle if you use anything other than free apps.

9. ghsNick thread starter macrumors 68020

ghsNick

I think I might just do it without the Apple ID login or do the dummy account.

I wouldn't mind changing my password before getting the phone and then getting it back, but Apple doesn't let you use an old password.

10. Samanosuke macrumors 6502

Service is flawless and at times better than T-Mobile phones.

11. Samanosuke macrumors 6502

Yes applies to 5s too.

Currently using iPhone 5s from Verizon on T-Mobile as well.

12. btrav13 macrumors 6502

The 5S, 6 and 6 Plus are all unlocked with the exception of T-Mobiles. For some reason they had theirs locked. I work for Verizon and we activate ATT/Sprint iPhones all the time. Our also work elsewhere, including T-Mobile. You just can't take a T-Mobile one to another carrier (trust me on this, I've tried...well, I've tried a Verizon SIM and it won't ever get voice service).

13. C DM macrumors Westmere

At least for iPhone 6 you can certainly get an unlocked T-Mobile one that will work just fine on other carriers like AT&T for example. Sprint's generally won't work on Verizon without perhaps some tricks of using an already activated SIM. Similarly an unlocked T-Mobile one or AT&T one can work on Verizon when using an already activated SIM.

14. hovscorpion12 macrumors 65816

hovscorpion12

So if I pre order the iPhone (2015 edition) T-Mobile unlocked on Apple online store not T-Mobile, and place my current Verizon Sim, It will work 100%?

15. C DM macrumors Westmere

Based on essentially all the feedback and threads about it in many places online, yes, it should work.

16. Samanosuke macrumors 6502

This I can't comment on as certainly.

As I understood it because of software the iPhone 6 from T-Mobile will work on Verizon but it won't receive LTE. I could be wrong about this so don't quote me.

I've never bought a T-Mobile iPhone to use on Verizon. Just Verizon iPhone's to use on T-Mobile.

17. C DM macrumors Westmere

The T-Mobile model of iPhone 6 is the same one as the Verizon model, so LTE will work with both carriers (as well as on AT&T which also uses the same model). iPhone 5 has some differences where LTE won't be supported based on different models, but since then that has changed.

18. Samanosuke macrumors 6502

Thank you for clearing that up.

19. AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

T MOBILE / AT&T / VERIZON are MODEL A1549

SIM FREE / SPRINT are MODEL A1586

So yes the T mobile and Verizon are the same iPhone 6.

20. sura macrumors newbie

Verizon's smartphones are unlocked so they can be used on T-Mobile. I tried one on AT&T for a while. That said, there can be some differences depending on your location and the tower bands available. The two carriers don't use exactly the same bands & frequencies. Check out the graphic to see the differences.

Carrier spectrum.jpg