Is Verizon rationing is 3G network?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by HankHowdy, May 18, 2013.

1. HankHowdy macrumors 68040

HankHowdy

I have a 4S and when I use speedtest.net the speeds start out Okay and then drop a few seconds later. I can get 1.5 to 2 Mbps then it will drop below 1 Mbps. I have talked to verizon many times about this and they never seem to have a straight answer for this. I am not being throttled. Verizon has check this for me several times already. Is this app really inaccurate?
    When I use web based speed test with safari my speeds are pretty good, but I have heard those are very inaccurate.

Thanks

Perhaps I should proof read the title before submitting this thread. LOL

2. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

It's my understanding the changes in traffic on the server the app selects for you will make a difference. I've also found that if I change servers tested I get different readings.

3. HankHowdy thread starter macrumors 68040

HankHowdy

I see your point, but it does this every single time in different areas and times of day.

4. AutoUnion39 macrumors 601

AutoUnion39

It's not rationing. That's what you call a loaded EVDO network. Both VZW and Sprint have terrible 3G networks, except the difference is that on VZW's it's actually useable, whereas Sprint's won't work.

not a big deal anymore since VZW pledges to have LTE over their entire EVDO network by the end of June.

5. DcGamer05 macrumors regular

DcGamer05

Actually I'm using sprints 3G network to post this very message and its outperforms my friends Verizon 3G here in Connecticut where I live after network vision happened here speeds have been superb for 3G; especially sprint who's 3G network has been severely congested for a while now but NV is really fixing the problems and the service has been great since they upgraded our towers

I know it's easy to pick on sprint because of these problems but they are really trying to fix them

Posted on iphone4s sprint 3G

6. AutoUnion39 macrumors 601

AutoUnion39

Lame excuse. They should have been fixing it years ago. Not now, when it's too late. VZW is a month away from completing their initial LTE rollout. Now they will go back and add more sites, and deploy on AWS.

Sprint is still trash, even with Network Vision going on. While you guys are skipping along on mediocre 3G, AT&T and VZW have deployed usable LTE and have a decent EVDO/HSPA network as backup.

7. CEmajr macrumors 601

3G over CDMA networks is pretty slow, especially on Sprint. You'll need to get an iPhone 5 so that you can enjoy the higher speeds of Verizon's LTE network.

8. Diseal3 macrumors 65816

Really wish they went EVDO Rev. B to keep up with HSPA+. They should be in a good position when they move everyone to LTE and refarm those frequencies for LTE however.

9. ValerieDurden macrumors 6502a

I have usable LTE with Sprint, it's pretty much everywhere I go. 3G speeds and coverage are great too I routinely get 2+Mbps, better than Verizon in my area.

10. AutoUnion39 macrumors 601

AutoUnion39

SAdly that's not the case everywhere. Its pretty terrible around here in Boston

11. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

That pledge only means that some LTE markets in each CMA where EVDO exists. That doesn't translate to full one-for-one LTE coverage overlay. That's still 1-2 years away, if it ever truly happens at all (even today, EVDO isn't 100% across the network).

12. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

And what speeds do you actually expect with CDMA 3G?
    Typical is 1-2mbps some times less than that.

13. Wicked1 macrumors 68040

Wicked1

I think they started offering it to the highest bidder, like the auction there was for having Coffee with Tim Cook...lol

I hear more ppl complain about their 3G, but my cousin has an IP5 and gets decent LTE speeds, usually 20-40 mbps

14. Zmanbaseball2 macrumors 68040

Zmanbaseball2

Im sorry to ask but what do people me when they say i am not being/being throttled. I see it everywhere about carriers. Im sorry if its a dumb question I'm asking.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2

15. hexonxonx macrumors 601

At least some of you get data. A year ago in January, I signed a two year contract with Verizon after hearing everyone say how good they were.

I got the big O instead of 3G/4G 90% of the time. I finally broke the contract after a year of that nonsense. AT&T was a bit better but it would take over 10 minutes to download a song on AT&T.

Attached Files:

16. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

The network is artificially limiting their top speeds. This happens most frequently with people on unlimited plans that use a lot of data. For example, AT&T officially gives their unlimited customers 5gb of data at max speeds and reserves the rights to drastically reduce speeds of all FAA over 5gb.

17. jeffe macrumors 6502a

I'm another happy sprint customer. Network works well enough to allow me to use about 5-6 GB of data / month. Most my data usage is browsing and streaming.

Past performance is really irrelevant for me..it works now, and the price is right.

18. Shockwave78 macrumors 65816

Shockwave78

Energy useage and managing it is part of my job. When at peak demand I start cutting heat and AC out, shutting lights off, all automatically through programming..

This is the same for everything else, there is no doubt version and AT&T have some type of throttling for everything in place, all of these are most likely adjustable set points that they can change at will for any reason.

19. osofast240sx macrumors 68030

osofast240sx

What are I talking about?

20. BoostDeuce macrumors member

Your location says Denver, is that right? I've had Verizon when I went to college in fort Collins as well as all over Colorado, in the south mountains when I lived in the san luis valley, and Verizon never let me down. Always got coverage in places you didn't think you'd get it.

21. hexonxonx macrumors 601

Well I stuck with it for a full year and then finally had enough and cancelled my account this past January. I ended up selling the 64GB iPhone on eBay with a bad ESN for $375.

The first day I opened the Verizon account, I noticed all I could get was that big O and no 3G and half the calls I tried to make dropped. I posted this on the Verizon support forums and was told that they offer that booster thing similar to what AT&T offers. Never did buy it.

22. ValerieDurden macrumors 6502a

All depends on the location, same goes for Verizon and AT&T.

23. CanadianGeek macrumors member