Is Verizon serious? [FiOS Issue]

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by thatoneguy82, Jun 20, 2014.

1. thatoneguy82 macrumors 68000

thatoneguy82

So, lately, I've been having speed issues with my FiOS. I recently upgraded to 75/35 from 50/25 and I didn't really notice a speed bump when I was doing the speed tests. Both connections pretty much showed the same speeds, though, there were some times that I'd get higher than advertised (85/40). These tests were done and randomly and the peaks were both done during the day and night.

I had a chat with Verizon tech support and they said that it is because I have the old router; I need to get the new "advanced" one to get the advertised speeds. But, the thing is, I don't use the router as my wireless, I just use it as a modem and connect my Time Capsule [2nd gen] to via wired ethernet. Tech Support was adamant about getting the new one to get the speeds, but it doesn't make sense to me since I won't be using as my WiFi router.

Can anyone shed some light on this? Is the Tech Support correct on me needing it, regardless that I use it in the method I currently use?

2. atticus27 macrumors regular

atticus27

Check if it's Wireless G or N. G only supports 54mpbs, but N has been the standard for years, which is probably what you already have.

3. thatoneguy82 thread starter macrumors 68000

thatoneguy82

It's 802.11n.

The thing I don't get is, why would upgrading the Verizon Router/Modem to the "advanced" version increase my WiFi speed when I won't be using it as my WiFi router? I'm only using one of the ethernet ports on the back to connect to my Time Capsule and I'm pretty sure if mine isn't even advanced, a wired connection can surely handle 75/35. Of course, the rest would be up to the Time Capsule, which per specs, can handle that.

So frustrating and so confusing. I don't mind spending the $99 for the Verizon router, I just want to make sure it will work. And unfortunately there is no return policy.

4. hallux macrumors 68030

hallux

If the older modem/router only has a 100 Mb uplink port, that can cause you to see the speed drop. Remember, that's the RATED speed of the port, ACTUAL speed will be lower. It could also be that the other capabilities related to connecting the FIOS system may be different on your device vs. the "advanced" one. With a cable internet service, this is the difference between DOCSIS 2 and DOCSIS 3, with DOCSIS 3 being the more advanced and being capable of higher speeds.

5. andymodem macrumors 6502a

Don't waste your money on a new Verizon router if you're not even using it as the wireless access point. Those Actiontec routers are horrible which is why I switched my FiOS setup around so the Airport Extreme is the main router.

6. thatoneguy82 thread starter macrumors 68000

thatoneguy82

Pretty much my set up, exception of TC instead of AEBS.

What speed plan are you currently on?

7. thatoneguy82, Jun 21, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2014

thatoneguy82 thread starter macrumors 68000

thatoneguy82

I did a speed test again, but this time I connected straight (via ethernet cable) from the VZ modem/router to my MBP. Using this method, I was able to exceed my plan's 75/35. Next, I did it wirelessly, but only several inches away; this time the WiFi it was connected to was my Apple Time Capsule and not the VZ router. Doing this, I got similar results as I did when I connected via a wired connection.

I live in a 1bd loft, so floor plan is pretty open. Router and everything is upstairs in the bedroom and I mostly use my MBP and other internet-connected devices downstairs. It seems like this way, I only get up to around 50-55Mbps down, but still get the 35Mbps upload. I have an AirPort Express downstairs set up to "extend" network, and it does reach a lot further. However, the main reason I did it was to connect all my TV/Audio/Video stuff via a wired ethernet (using an ethernet splitter to have multiple ports).

With that info, would the advanced router be helpful? Even though I won't be connecting to it/using it as my WAP? I still plan on using my Time Capsule as my WiFi router, receiving internet connection from a port of the Verizon modem.

8. Svend macrumors member

So you are Verizon router > wifi > airport > MBP? If so, then yes, the new router would help since you state you have slow speeds between Verizon router > wifi > MBP. Of course, you could get a different wifi router, plug it in directly to the Verison router via ethernet, and then use wifi from it to your airport.

9. thatoneguy82 thread starter macrumors 68000

thatoneguy82

Close. Verizon modem/router --> Apple Time Capsule (via ethernet) -- > WiFi for all

That is what I'm doing, if I understand you correctly.

What I am trying to figure out is if changing the Verizon modem/router to the more advanced one will change anything since the WAP that I'm using is already connected to it via ethernet.