Is Verizon throttling their iPhone4?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by GroceryHauler, Feb 16, 2011.

1. GroceryHauler macrumors newbie

Is it possible Verizon is throttling the iPhone? My download speeds are about half the speed of what I was getting with my DroidX. It seems like when doing various speed tests, the iPhone peaks , at say 1 mb/s, and then falls back to around 500 kb/s.

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Verizon has stated that if you are in the top 5% of data users they will throttle your data speed.

3. GroceryHauler thread starter macrumors newbie

Do you think 2.4Gb is in the top 5%?Besides, it sounds like the majority of iPhone users are complaining about data speeds.I'm 21 days into my billing cycle with that 2.4Gb.

4. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Yep. Anything over 2GB is typically the top 5%, at least according to at&t.

TEG

5. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Is that your average download per billing cycle? If so, then yes, you may be in the top 5%.

6. GroceryHauler thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't buy it. Way too many people complaining .

7. einmusiker macrumors 68030

einmusiker

i definitely think they are. I returned the phone and will be canceling the line soon

8. Jcloud8 macrumors member

I dont think so...im getting a consistant 1.2+ Mbps and almost reaching 2 at certain times.

9. thetexan macrumors 6502a

Verizon isn't throttling anything.

Verizon admitted they don't have the network technology in place yet to throttle traffic. They put that wording into their terms of service to reserve the right to possibly throttle at a later point in time but as of now they aren't. They said they might not ever even begin the practice of throttling, they just wanted to legally prepare for it.

http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/112586

10. shikari89 macrumors member

shikari89

So far this month I have used 5.25GB with my iphone and droid x. I tested my iphone against my brothers droid x and we got nearly identical speeds. No I don't think they are throttling iphone 4's.

11. GroceryHauler thread starter macrumors newbie

In one of HTC' s OS updates in the EVO on Sprint's network, there was supposedly some kind of throttling implemented. There was a hack to the system to alleviate the OS update. I know, because I used it, and it worked flawlessly.

12. GroceryHauler thread starter macrumors newbie

Did the same thing with mine and my wife's iPhone vs my daughters DroidX and the X was twice as fast as both iPhones.

13. Pink∆Floyd macrumors 68020

Pink∆Floyd

Yeah well, the Verizon iPhone has its disadvantages, just one of the many disadvantages...

But it created competition, that's a good thing :D

14. tsolt macrumors regular

tsolt

my verizon iphone is just fine.. to many ppl complain about this, its funny

15. Travisimo macrumors 6502a

I just switched from a Droid X to the ViP and network speeds are nearly identical (fluctuating between 300kbps-1.5mbps depending on location).

16. mightygitis macrumors 6502

mightygitis

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_6 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8E200 Safari/6533.18.5)

I'm getting the same speeds side by side with other Verizon phones in my area. I've been seeing 1.5 on average but it gets higher in areas. In fact, though the speed tests are coming down similar the iPhone is displaying things faster then some other phones I've tested it against.

17. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

18. Fresh1 macrumors regular

Everything fine on my end. Actually, it's better than fine... it's simply awesome. Society will always find something to complain about.

19. Weiser878 macrumors regular

No, Verizon has piss poor data speeds. AT&T is consistently 4-6Mbps here

20. JRoDDz macrumors 68000

JRoDDz

Well if you're getting crappy speeds without the throttling, imagine what it's going to be with it on? :eek:

21. Wicked1 macrumors 68040

Wicked1

Where is here?

Curious because lately I am all over the place with the speeds I can get, at home they are pretty decent, but lately at work, Central NJ they suck, however still faster then AT&T.

I had Sprint and T-Mobile, they were Horrible where I live and thru most of the East coast, T-Mobile bashes AT&T with their 4G but at least I can make a call all over the place with AT&T, T-Mobile stinks as far as signal in my area.

22. Simm0nS777 macrumors 6502a

so because you have no problems no one else does? I love when people have that state of mind. If someone is getting really crappy speeds they definitely have a reason to complain.

23. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Well, that's nice for "here" but 1-2 Mbps is a more average number for at&t.

24. iphone1105 macrumors 68020

iphone1105

"Here" for me on AT&T, in Los Anegeles, consitant 3-5mbps in that range.....thats good for our area! Just my .02

25. elan123 macrumors 6502

haha